X

replaced plugs, better, still not 100%

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replaced plugs, better, still not 100%

Well, although I didn't get any replies to my original post, I made progress with the problem I was having.

To recap, the problem was that during idle when the engine has been fully heated up, i would hear a sporadic ticking, or cliking noise from the engine area, i think was coming from the cylinder 3 and 4 side. This isn't a continual sewing machine type sound, just sporadic clicking that also coincides with a significant drop in revs, then it picks back up. It may happen a few times in a row, or be anywhere from five, to fifteen seconds or maybe more between ticks. But the hotter the engine, the more prominent the problem is.

I replaced fuel filter and plugs today, with CR9EIX plugs, and I noticed a more stable idle from the second it turned on the engine, even cold it was better. I took it out for a run, and even after some time cruising at 100kph, I didn't notice the problem, but after about 45 minutes of riding, I began to hear the same problem idling at stop lights again. Although, ITS NOT NEARLY AS BAD!! phew.. okay, so at least i'm on the right track, but its still not 100% right.

Now, the problem is less frequent and the drop in revs when I hear the tick is not as severe.

My used plugs definitely needed to be changed, but they weren't terrible. By reading them it looks like everything is tuned adequately. Except for the plug from cylinder 4 looked a bit darker and a little wetter as compared with 1,2,3. But, I don't know what this may indicate.

The riding doesn't seem to be affected, just this sporadic ticking coinciding with a drop in RPM during a warm to hot idle...

Any ideas to get this problem fixed 100%?

Thanks everyone,
    BR

Well , I'd WAGER that somehow that #4 ain't burning like it should , as evidenced by the "darker wetter" plug . It was PROBABLY losing that cylinder every once in a while , which would explain the drop in revs ( I know the problem WELL ) . It also sounds a little funny when it happens , too . I guess it COULD be dexcribed as the wierd ticking you described . Now to find out WHY it seems that one cylinder ain't happy .....
    My first thought would be to lean that one cylinder out slightly depending on where it seems rich . But I can't seem to focus well enough to try to .... um.... wait ... Maybe turn that #4 pilot in SLIGHTLY is what I'd probably try first based on what I've read .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thanks md86 for the suggestion. I'll have some time this weekend to adjust that carb and try to lean out the idle mixture.

just gotta find my manual to find out which screw is the pilot... lol, i'm learning, it may be a slow process, but i'm learning!

thanks again,
      BR

Comment

it's not the pilot - it's the air/fuel mixture screw.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
          it's not the pilot - it's the air/fuel mixture screw.

tim
          Same thing. The factory manuals often refer to the idle-mixture screw as the pilot screw.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That might be the float height on the carb serving that cylinder being too rich , I find that 16mm works well for my gsx600f.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'm familiar with everything you all suggested, I just don't know how to actually adjust them, so I'm gonna spend some time with the "search" button...

found the manual, and all it says for carbs is "factory preset, don't change", not much use in that!!

Comment

Here's a good primer to start you off:

Jetkit talks about how to locate and change the pilot (idle-circuit) mix screws.
                Float-height talks about measuring and setting float height.
                Also has good diagrams on how CV carbs work, and hose-routing for pre-98 49-state and California models.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by BRkat
                  found the manual, and all it says for carbs is "factory preset, don't change", not much use in that!!
                  Yeah , but the Clymer manual will actually TELL you what that preset amount is (1 5/8 turns out for the pre98 750 US model if you were curious) .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by BRkat
                    Originally posted by md86
                    Yeah , but the Clymer manual will actually TELL you what that preset amount is (1 5/8 turns out for the pre98 750 US model if you were curious) .
                    the same info is in the rear of the 98+ service manuals in the specs section (where it also tells you which jet sizes came for different markets, etc).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X