X

what does an advancer actually do

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does an advancer actually do

might be a silly question but I have no idea what an ignition advancer is supposed to do???
    I never met a corner I didn't like

it advances the static timing of the engine basically it helps it warm up faster and adds a lil mid range boost

Comment

thanks, is there a particular model that is better then others. I saw the sticky that showed how they are installed, seems it might help with my new D&D

Comment

Re: what does an advancer actually do

Originally posted by beeledf
        I never met a corner I didn't like.
        I don't like T3 at Thunderhill.

Comment

Originally posted by bobs
          I never met a corner I didn't like.
          I don't like T3 at Thunderhill.
          looks fast....... kind of a hold on with 2 hands and a buttcheek kinda thing

Comment

Re: what does an advancer actually do

might be a silly question but I have no idea what an ignition advancer is supposed to do???
            In the most basic terms:

Normally your spark occurs on an North American market Katana at exactly 4 degrees of crank rotation before the piston reaches top-dead-center (TDC). The advancer changes when the spark occurs by a certain number of additional degrees. Most common for our Kats is a 5 degree advancer, so the spark occurs at 9 degrees Before Top Dead Center (BTDC).

The result is that the detonation produces more power within the cylinder, but the cylinder also retains more heat (because the explosion is in the cylinder longer before the exhaust valves open). A secondary effect is also exhaust gases that normally contain a bit more pollution, because the later detonation normally leave a little flame still occuring that mixes with the extra oxygen in the exhaust to help fully burn the residual fuel in a more pollution-friendly way.

The place that this difference in power is primarily noticable is in the lower gears at lower RPM's, because in higher gears the torque change isn't that noticable due to the gearing and in the higher RPM's the speed these events occur is so fast that the benefit isn't very noticable.

The average rider will feel/see the change as two basic changes:
            1. The primary torque curve will hit earlier (shift downward in the RPM range), AND
            2. The engine will warm up much faster (because there is more heat being retained in the block).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Do you want to add anything about octane, density altitude, or any of those other tradeoffs?

Comment

Do you want to add anything about octane, density altitude, or any of those other tradeoffs?

Only if we start talking about the other kind of Katana (by Diamond, not Suzuki) -- the type that has wings and requires an FAA rating to fly. The diamond reps were out in force at Fun-N-Sun this past week.

He asked a question. I gave him a full and complete answer, along with the knowledge behind it that make people understand the "why" and not just accepting the result... kinda like the give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish proverb.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

OK, I thought more advanced spark timing required higher octane to avoid detonation at higher density altitude, but maybe I was thinking about higher compression instead.

Comment

OK, I thought more advanced spark timing required higher octane to avoid detonation at higher density altitude, but maybe I was thinking about higher compression instead.
                    I suspect you were...

Generally, the higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane level needs to be to avoid undesirable predetonation/preignition. As altitude goes up, the ambient pressure drops and on engines which run ambient air (as verses to compressed air via a supercharger or turbocharger), the octane requirement falls. This second part is the reason that standard pump octane numbers (PON) at sea level are usually 87 regular, 89 mid-grade, 92-94 at premium -- while up at higher altitudes the numbers drift downward (Denver would probably have 2 to 3 octane points less on each blend, with regular being 85, mid-grade 87 or so, and premium in the 89-91 PON range).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks cyberpoet....as always, you are a wealth of information. where would you get one of these advancers?

Comment

thanks cyberpoet....as always, you are a wealth of information. where would you get one of these advancers?
                        and sinfulkat

Comment

Try www.ivansperformanceproducts.com
                          and www.factorypro.com

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X