X

help with frame sliders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with frame sliders

my buddy just bought an 05 katana and we wanna put some frame sliders on it but not sure how?

there are none

but BRAUNSTEIN82 one of the members here makes brackets to install them, I ordered a t set and sliders from hime, should be here shortly, will post pictures.

I guess thee main issue is you have to drill the fairings without these brackets hereis a PIC

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

thnx 4 the link

Comment

how did you make out with those FRAME SLIDERS ??
        I have an 04 Katana 600 and want to put some on mine too..

Does anyone know about whether one is at risk of bending the frame when putting an aftermarket/fabricated set of frame sliders on these Katanas?? Could this be the reason they are not made for this bike???
        I read that on some other site.

But I'd really like them, as long as I can be sure that if I drop my bike on them it's not going to twist and bend the frame.
        You know what I mean? ANybody??
        Thanks,
        Ben
        Go BIG or go home!!

Comment

pm braunstein, got a set, I like em, i check em out and at matt said, they are made to break at speed so they are okay by me!
          Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

I see where you have them mounted, in the middle of that frame piece that comes down that's visible through the hole in the fairing.

I'm not sure you've really answered my question though about whether or not the weight of the bike can bend the frame on that place being mounted in the middle there, if the bike falls over on it.

Have the bike ever fallen over onto one of them?

What you mean "they are meant to break at speed"??

Thanks,
            Ben

ps. how much for them?
            Go BIG or go home!!

Comment

they look cool

Comment

rwcreigh,, are you trying to say something meaningful here??

we know Katanas look cool! ...
                Go BIG or go home!!

Comment

"the sliders"look cool.

Comment

I'm interested in something to protect the plastics in a tip-over, IF it doesnt bend the frame. I'm only 5'3 and on tippy-toes at a stop - a low spot, gravel under foot, even a hard wind gust might knock me over. That would be lame to protect the plastic but have to junk the bike.
                    sigpic
                    Currant Toys...
                    '02 Suzuki GSX750F
                    '74 Yamaha MX360
                    '69 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by greenstar
                      What you mean "they are meant to break at speed"??
                      Everyone's attempts at frame sliders on the Katana has come to the same basic conclusion -- in a spill at over 15 mph or so, the slider acts as a torsion arm on the frame and damages it (I haven't tried Braunsteins, but this is a general finding). This is why there are no frame sliders on the market from any of the major slider companies for the Kat.

On the other hand, the fairing on the 98+ does an increadibly good job of protecting the frame in most higher-speed spills, since it extends past the frame quite a bit and is thicker than typical race-bike fairings.

So the question you have to ask yourself is whether you want low-speed protection for the bike at the possible price of more high-speed damages, or visa-versa. It's simply a trade-off for what you feel you are more likely to encounter.

To try to get around the high-speed damages to the frame from a set of sliders, he says he's built them to snap away at higher speeds -- so you supposedly get the best of both worlds (low speed protection from the slider and the lack of penalty at a higher speed). How well that works, and if they snap off before any damages to the frame could occur is beyond me -- you'll have to take his word for it, unless someone else has pictures/evidence of their higher-speed spill with his stuff bolted onto a Katana.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just installed Braunsteins sliders (Thanks again B. They look great and installation was a snap!). And from the feel of the material they are made of I can understand how they can break away at 15 miles or more. The plastic that they are made out of has a light but sturdy feel. This plastics will more than likely burn down if given contact with high abrasion. Also, the type of alloy his main screw is made of looks as if it would snap if high impact was introduce to it. It looks like a compress metal instead of an unbreakable bolt. I think Braunsteins would be the route to go. This is my assessment of his product and it looks and feel pretty legit.
                        "Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

Comment

i have got to get me some of them

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X