X

Solution for swollen carb seals/diaphragm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution for swollen carb seals/diaphragm

Ever try to reassemble the carbs only to find the seals don't fit in the grooves and are larger? Happened to me last night when I got some cheap carb cleaner containing acetone on the seals. Diaphragm and bowl gasket swelled up and would not fit in their grooves on reassembly.

The solution?

Preheat your oven to 175-200degF. Put your seals on a sheet of tinfoil folded in half, do NOT place the seals on the hot oven grille. Leave them in for 5 minutes. They will not melt, but when they're done -- the solvent will have evaporated, and the seals will have shrunken back to their original size!

Hope that saves you guys a bit of coin
    America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field, and then have a party.

Wierd how that happens huh..
    Course better to avoid the acetone altogether!

I rember cleaning a spray gun once and the vent tube
    swelled from 1/4 OD and 3 inches long to over 5 inches long and about 1/2 ID!!
    I was sitting scratching my head trying to figure out where the tube came from! And were did the little vent tube go??

Comment

Ahahahahahah ... that's awesome

Yeah I tried my darndest to avoid it, but I misadvertantly must have sprayed carb cleaner in the pilot passage, and somehow trickled down to the float bowl.
      America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field, and then have a party.

Comment

I usually just let mine sit and dry. Then again, it is a lot warmer down here than in the great white north!
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

How bad did your kitchen smell after you were done?

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
            How bad did your kitchen smell after you were done?
            Meh, set the oven on broil for a couple of minutes.

Forgot to metnion an important pre-requisite; GET THE WIFE OUT OF THE HOUSE FIRST.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingers View Post
              The solution?

Preheat your oven to 175-200degF. Put your seals on a sheet of tinfoil folded in half, do NOT place the seals on the hot oven grille. Leave them in for 5 minutes. They will not melt, but when they're done -- the solvent will have evaporated, and the seals will have shrunken back to their original size!

Hope that saves you guys a bit of coin
              Man thanks so much for you post. I just run into the same issue, since my wife was home I put the bowl right next to the light source I was using... waited about 15 minutes an d all was good again... than I checked my carb cleaner and sure enough... you save me today. At least I got my carbs back together.
              --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

nice tip, thanks

Comment

Working...
                X