Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What should be done for the yearly tune up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should be done for the yearly tune up?

I have a 2002 Kat 750 which I bought used(mentioned that a few times in this group) and she bought it new with 8 miles on it and I bought it with 4200 miles on it. She banged it up and it sat in her garage for about 2 years. I already drained the gas and took care of that it it seems to be working great put some 91 in it to run thru. Anyways my question is this what woudld be a tune up for this? I am thinking spark plugs,oil change,maybe brake fluid change of course check the air in the tires. I was thinking of doing it myself . Oh I forgot I put some wd-40 on the chain which was a lil rusty(I am buying a new chain next month possibly DID or R/K) but I figured the chain was good right now and could wait a month seems to work fine. Thanks
    "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

If you download the manual under the Parts section, it'll have a scheduled maintenance list.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

Brake fluid
      Brake lines
      Fuel lines
      Cush drive pads (I think)
      oil/filter change
      Carb cleaning/sync

check the tires for cracks even though they are low mileage they are 4yrs old

Like I said she's low mileage but the maintrenace chart also goes by time periods. IE 3500miles or 6 months
      Kyle

Comment

It's probably due for just about everything in the manual I'd bet . Probably wasn't taken care of that well it sounds like . But no biggie .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I would suggest doing a full 7500 mile service as per the suzuki shop manual (list of what is covered is shown here).

PLUS the following time-based changes:
          Tires (they are now 5 years old -- which means dry/hard; Metzeler Z6 is my recommendation on the replacements);
          Brake lines, brake fluid (ditto on age; replace with SS brake lines, Castrol GT LMA or Valvoline PowerSynth brake fluid, SpeedBleeders);
          All fuel and vacuum lines (most are bulk hose items from the local auto parts store);
          Check the tank for rust (don't know whether you thought to look);
          Fork oil, oil seals, dust seals (normally every other year);
          Cush pads when you change the chain (like other rubber parts, they harden with time).
          Check the air filter (should be good, but you never know for sure til you look).

I'd also highly recommend:
          While you have the fairings off for the 7500 mile service, open each electrical connector plug, clean with a shot of electrical cleaner and then pack totally full of dielectric grease. This will help keep most future electrical gremlins from building up and dielectric grease is very very cheap.
          Getting standard metal polish (something like mother's from the auto-parts store) and taking it to anything that looks it was never painted/coated (specifically: the forks, heel kick plates, exhaust, but not the wheels or the rear passenger footpegs which are both electro-coated with something). Wash first and then clean with windex, then the metal polish.
          When you get the tires replaced, ask them to repack the wheel bearings.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X