X

My idle troubles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My idle troubles

I already did a seach and read some previous write-ups.

So this past saturday I go to my buddys house to get my bike. I roll it out, choke it, and start it up (took a couple tries). I let it run on choke a couple minutes (adjusting as it warmed up) and when I took it off choke, it cut out on me. Did this a few times and same thing. I noticed the idle was at 500 or below everytime I took the choke off. Figured maybe I needed to ride it to get everything working again and that would solve the problem. Didn't work. Come back to Katriders and read some other posts. So I go out and turn the idle knob all the way and now it's hanging out 900-1000 rpm. Didn't cut out on me so I was happy. Didn't take the chance on driving it home (50+ miles). Wanted to find out what was wrong first and it rained earlier and I had a few beers later on in the day.

The other posts says the idle should be 1100-1200. Would having the bike shop do a valve adjustment and what not bring the idle back up?

Anyway, it was good the go riding. Even though it was only up and down the block.
    Submariners do it deeper

I can't provide too much help here, but I'll get the replies started before the thread gets pushed down.

You should only use the choke for 30 seconds as per the owner's manual. You should try to keep the Kat around 2000rpms while warming up (either with the choke or throttle). 500 seems low, but not completely abnormal for just starting it up. Try easing off the choke slowly instead of just shutting it off. You can set it anywhere along its path of travel (i.e. it's not just an on/off switch). This might prevent stalling. After 30 seconds or so, you should be lightly revving the engine using the throttle and no choke. If you make minor adjustments with the throttle, there's less chance it will stall.

Also, you should set the idle when the bike is fully warmed up. I'm not completey sure when you set it, but it sounds like the bike was warmed up already, so you may have done this correctly. If you notice it idling really high next time it's warmed up, don't panic, turn the idle screw back down.

I run Seafoam through my gas tank once in a while (available at most auto parts stores), which helps keeps your carbs gunk-free. Seafoam isn't a miracle substance, but it's cheap enough to try.

Someone else will probably post more helpful information. In the meantine, give your bike plenty of time to warm up and don't ride it until it's warm. You don't want to stall in a bad situation...

Comment

Probably got crap in your pilot circuit from sitting . Probably time for a carb cleaning . You MAY be able to get away with an in-the-tank cleaner . I'd turn the idle adjust all the way down and keep the bike alive at stops with the throttle , that way if the cleaner is gonna break up the gunk , you'll KNOW it's getting to the right circuit .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The valves have nothing to do with the idle. 99% of the time, idle problems are from the carbs. Make sure your bike is getting enough air/fuel. if (you are mechanically inclined) pull off your carbs and soak them. clean all the jets and passages. then change/clean your air filters and spark plugs. That should almost definately do the trick.
        -If your not repairing your bike, your not riding it right.

Comment

Working...
        X