X

Tire Wear question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Wear question

I will preface this by saying I will be buying new tires front and rear shortly. I have a 2003 Katana 600 with 11K miles and original tires. The front tire is sort of cupped. Looks like this \_/, instead of being round. the rear tire is rounded with a very slight flat at the center. What causes this sort of tire wear?
    2003 Katana 600 Blue

"When choosing between evils, I always like to take the one Ive never tried before. -- Mae West "

i assume you have the stock Michelin Macadams, right? my first one cupped at 2500 miles, Suzuki replaced it. as for the rear, it looks as if most of your riding is done on straight, flat roads. not necessarily a bad thing, because 11K is a lot of mileage from a set of tires.

Comment

almost forgot, be sure to keep your tire pressure set right. i think it should be 33psi front, 36psi rear.

Comment

Re: Tire Wear question

Originally posted by SeattleKatana
        The front tire is sort of cupped. Looks like this \_/, instead of being round. the rear tire is rounded with a very slight flat at the center. What causes this sort of tire wear?
        Too much highway riding.

I commute on my Kat alot and the highway miles will cause a flat spot after a while. I find hitting the twisties sections to break things up helps.

Depending on your weight you may want to bump up your tire pressure. According to Cyberpoet the 33F 36R is for a 150lb rider, I tend to run mine 35ish F and 38 or so Rear.
        Kyle

Comment

Thanks! Yup, way to many highway miles. I'll check the air pressure.
          2003 Katana 600 Blue

"When choosing between evils, I always like to take the one Ive never tried before. -- Mae West "

Comment

Working...
          X