X

Need Tranny Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Tranny Help

Special K, Need some help. The trans locked up on me doing about 50 mph. Do you have a used trans for a 93 600. If so do you do this kind of work for people. If so pm me and let me know some prices.
    sigpic93 Katana
    98+ Rear Wheel 170/60/17 47 tooth Rear Sprocket
    Vance and Hines SS2R Custom Airbrushing

03 Alstare 600
    Salvaged title (lol)

Its cheaper and easier to just get a whole new engine, with tranny. That is unless you can do the tranny work yourself. What year bike and what size are you running?
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

The real question is a question of labor. If you like to tinker, and have lots of time & equipment, replacement parts for tranny's aren't all that expensive. On the other hand, if you don't like investing 40 hours (the typical home-repair for someone who isn't experienced at ripping down and repairing tranny's to do a full disassembly and reassembly), the normal route is to swap engine and tranny instead of separating them... in part because sellers rarely separate them either, and there's little sense in separating them once you receive it. The other question that comes to mind is whether there was possible damage to the engine when the tranny seized -- at 50 mph, you had to have the engine turning at least 4k RPM or so, which is a lot of reciprocal and rotating masses to suddenly come to a standstill (BTW -- are you ok?).

My advice: consider whether this is the right time for an engine upgrade and go the whole 9 yards... 1200 CC Bandit engines work Or whether to simply replace the bike and keep the old one for parts...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The engine will still crank and run as long as the clutch in pulled in. As soon as you let the clutch out it dies. Shifter will only shift up 2 gears and back down to where you started. Found a used trans for $350. here in town but can't seem to find anyone that wants to install it for less than $500. How hard is the engine removal and crankcase seperation process. I can work on a car all day long but am bike illeriate.
        sigpic93 Katana
        98+ Rear Wheel 170/60/17 47 tooth Rear Sprocket
        Vance and Hines SS2R Custom Airbrushing

03 Alstare 600
        Salvaged title (lol)

Comment

You need to get out of the car frame of mind. The engine and tranny on a bike aren't two separate devices like on a car. They are one integrated part to state it simply) It is MUCH easier and cost effective to swap the entire unit vs pulling the head, jugs, ans pistons. The smart ting would to pick up a late model 98+ 600 or 750 engine off ebay for $450 or less. It will bolt right in and with the exception of a few minor wiring differences it will wire right up as well.

Comment

AND....................I just happen to have a few engines here!

Nacks: E-mail me and I'll shoot you my cell #. I'm in Kernersville, NC....

I have probably 4-6 engines that will work.............and they all have good trans gears! Swapping the whole enchilada is pretty simple.........and if you've done it and have the stuff, it's also QUICK

Takes less than a day, start to finish. I'll be glad to help all I can........

maybe even do it for a fee if you want.............but get hold of me, I got the parts!
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

If you're not too sure about swapping out the motor, let Special K do it. He is the man, when it comes to Katanas.

Won't trust anyone else to work on mine.

Comment

Working...
              X