X

Oil filter Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter Help

I have an oil filter that will not come off, I've tried by hand, the screwdriver stab and turn but that just bends the screwdriver...I've also purchased one of those caps to put on the top and ratchet free but that shattered (it was composite plastic) Does anyone have any ideas or know where I could find a metal oil filter Cap or a right size? This is on a 92 600 katana. Thanks
    Bonstrosity

Go to autozone or walmart. It is kinda hard to get it up on there but you can do it. Who put the oil filter on? SOunds like it was over tightened when it was put on. Remeber to only put it on hand tight then a 1/4 turn after that. The filter will not leak or come off.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

This is funny, I bought 2 different metal filter socket attachments for my socket wrench. The 1st one was so tight that I could not get the filter out of the filter socket wrench. I had to take it off my 12" exstension piece and then in the hole for the 12" exstension peice I put a screw driver to knock the filter out of the socket. Before that I hit the filter against a tree and it would not come out.

I bought my fisrt filter socket from suzuki and didnt fit the napa filter that was on the bike, so I had to buy another filter socket from napa.
      Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

if it is REALLY stuck, take off the headers and allow yourself some room for leverage.

use a big pair of channel lock piers if avaialable...if all else fails

THEN

Use a BIG screwdriver and pierce it near the engine, go through the center part as well and out the other side.

when putting on the new filter, skim the gasket with oil and hand tighten...I NEVER use any type of wrench and I have not had any leaks (I can get it pretty tight)

Comment

What brand of oil filter was it? One of the major problems is that the various manufacturers of aftermarket filters vary the end-cap design -- one of the primary reasons to stick to the OEM filter aside from it's good construction is the fact that the same tool will always work. Normally you can get the end cap from any dealership, motorcycle shop or garage via the PartsUnlimited catalog, or as a Suzuki part (part number 09915-40610) -- $4.58 through RonAyers.com

Meanwhile, to get off the filter you currently have on there, pop by any autoparts store and get a chain-strap wrench (or if you can't find one, just a strap wrench), and use that if you can. JC Whitney mailed me the world's cheapest chain-strap wrench back in the early 80's as a free toss-in with my order and it's been used to remove stubborn off-brand oil filters ever since with great sucess.

Originally posted by Highsight2020
          Remeber to only put it on hand tight then a 1/4 turn after that. The filter will not leak or come off.
          The factory spec for the OEM filter is hand tighten until the seal comes into contact with the block (just barely), then two full rotations (720 degrees) from that point. The method Highsight2020 quoted is an old-school practice (I used it back in HS for my Chevy), but overlooks the fact that different people have radically varied hand strength...

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The oil filter is actually the stock OEM filter that came on the bike from the factory. I got a good deal on the bike since it's a 92 w/ only 2500 miles on it so the oil hadn't been changed at all. I'll go to a suzuki dealership and get that wrench from them. Otherwise If I have to take the headers off...will I need some gaskets when I put them back on? or can I just get some of that gasket in a bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by bonstrosity
              The oil filter is actually the stock OEM filter that came on the bike from the factory. I got a good deal on the bike since it's a 92 w/ only 2500 miles on it so the oil hadn't been changed at all. I'll go to a suzuki dealership and get that wrench from them. Otherwise If I have to take the headers off...will I need some gaskets when I put them back on? or can I just get some of that gasket in a bottle?
              You don't need to drop the stock headers to do the oil filter -- just need a 3/8" wrench and a 6" extension for it. Put some aluminum foil over the headers to keep oil from splattering on them (will cause it to smoke like the dickens when you start it back up).

Of note: If the oil in the bike is original (or just plain old), dump the contents of the oil cooler as well, and do a second oil change after letting the engine run for 15 - 30 minutes. The oil change only removes about 65% - 70% of the oil (dumping the cooler will get another 20% or so).

If you take the headers off, you may need new exhaust header gaskets... on a 13 year old bike, I'd recommend it.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

nope you will need to header gaskets. They are cheap though. 92 with 2500 miles. I still would have changed the oil as soon as I got it home. That oil had broken down from sitting.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I did just get the bike home, Thats why i've been trying to change the oil filter along with all the oil

Comment

i had this problem yesterday. couldn't find a cap-type wrench to fit the end of the new filter i have, and finally ended up getting it off with the triagular shaped gizmo made for imports. it chewed through parts of the filter to get traction, but it got the filter out. only took about 3 hours of going to part stores, trying different methods and by hand lol i don't have anything to help me tighten the new one though, just by hand. it's a tough fit, but i can't get it to budge any tighter.

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                    "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

yeah, your best bet is a suzuki dealership.
                      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Working...
                      X