X

Silencing the Yoshi on a 94 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silencing the Yoshi on a 94 Kat

I have the 4 into 1 exhaust with a Yoshi pipe (bought it that way) and while everyone I know thinks it sounds "evil" personally I find that as I have gotten older the bike is too loud. So without having to go back to stock exhausts (best I can tell that is a dual exhaust) and buying a full set of pipes, what are my options for getting a quiter can?

Any and all help appreciated.

Get you a used 98+ stock can..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Any mods needed for fitment or are they the same diameter for the can opening to the pipe?

Comment

Depending on how old your Yoshi is, it may need to be repacked. Aftermarket exhausts have about two years until they typically need it, as the sound-deadening material (usually a form of glass matting) breaks and gets blown out (or falls to the front/low end of the can). It's a cheap repair, at about $20 in parts and a couple hours in labor to do the first time.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I repacked it over the winter, but it is still too loud for my taste. I liked the sound when I was in my 20s, but 6 years later I find a quiter bike is for me. I am reluctant to give up my baby since it comfortable, plenty of power and I have several comfor mods on it. Just need to tone down the jet sound it makes once it hits 8k+.

Comment

Originally posted by Straegen
            I repacked it over the winter, but it is still too loud for my taste. I liked the sound when I was in my 20s, but 6 years later I find a quiter bike is for me. I am reluctant to give up my baby since it comfortable, plenty of power and I have several comfor mods on it. Just need to tone down the jet sound it makes once it hits 8k+.
            Suggest you offer up to trade with someone else with your year Kat -- their OEM exhaust for your Yosh (make sure you get good close-up pics in advance -- don't want to end up with a rusted OEM one).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Suggest you offer up to trade with someone else with your year Kat -- their OEM exhaust for your Yosh (make sure you get good close-up pics in advance -- don't want to end up with a rusted OEM one).
              I am not sure I want to go back to dual exhausts. I may not have a choice, but I would rather find a better option. As for the trade it wouldn't be a bad idea if mine didn't have the entire end of it road sanded. My pipe is REALLY ugly as it gets dragged in corners occasionally along with my footpegs.

I think I may go ahead and purchase a stock exhaust 98+ and just see what I can do to fit it. I know a great muffler shop that can probably build me a fitment collar if needed. Then just have to see what kind of bracketing is necessary. Lastly the obvious to see what it does to the jetting and such of the bike. Hopefully it is pretty straight forward, but these projects can get out of hand quickly. I was hoping someone had done something like this before and might know.

Comment

order some ear plugs from cyberpoet.

you will be amazed how it quiets the motor and you can actually hear the important things better.

i never ride without plugs. it did take a couple of rides to get used to them as my speed perception was off ( lack of wind noise ).

tim

Comment

I do on long rides, but it is still too loud for my riding partners. As a whole the pipe is simply too loud for me. Hopefully the 98+ idea works without any significant trouble.

Comment

A quick search on KR will give you the low down on swapping to a 98+ single-sided header & muffler (no major mods aside from also swapping the oil pan and pick-up).

As for the earplugs, thanks for the thought, Tim. The manfacturers I deal with have brought out additional models for this year, so I will expanding the basic "kit" I offer to include a lot more options, including more sizing variety (such as certain plugs in both small/med and large sizes).

Straegen: Unlike most ear plugs, the ones I sell really clamp down (NRR 27 to 32 on the permanents, up to 40 on the disposables). Personally, I recommend them for anyone who rides, whether you buy them from me or elsewhere... I wear them even with the stock pipes, because the wind noise at 80+ mph is sufficient to do damages (and lower speeds with some helmets).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A quick search on KR will give you the low down on swapping to a 98+ single-sided header & muffler (no major mods aside from also swapping the oil pan and pick-up).
                      Thanks for the help. Found the post and saved it off.

[quote]Unlike most ear plugs, the ones I sell really clamp down (NRR 27 to 32 on the permanents, up to 40 on the disposables). Personally, I recommend them for anyone who rides, whether you buy them from me or elsewhere... I wear them even with the stock pipes, because the wind noise at 80+ mph is sufficient to do damages (and lower speeds with some helmets). [quote]

If I didn't already have custom fit plugs, I would probably buy a few. I may anyway just to have some extra for passengers and the like since the price is very reasonable.

BTW, I was watching on CNN how iPods are causing hearing damage. Apparently the experts are saying any sustained volume 90db+ will cause permenant damage. From doing car stereo shows a couple years back I know the floating number was 95.

Comment

Originally posted by Straegen
                        BTW, I was watching on CNN how iPods are causing hearing damage. Apparently the experts are saying any sustained volume 90db+ will cause permenant damage.
                        That's actually how I figure out how much wind noise a specific helmet makes at any given speed. Wearing hearing-protection ear plugs, I have speakers in the helmets that are rated at 106 dB and the iPod cranked to max (with 27 to 40 dB noise reduction of the hearing-protection ear plugs shielding my ears from both wind & stereo noises); when the wind noise drowns out the music, I know the helmet must have hit 106 dB. It happens at speeds most riders wouldn't even start to guess (as low as 65 mph on some helmets, 85 - 92 mph on the better helmets; I've never found a helmet that will do over 100 mph without drowning out a set of 106 dB speakers).

The OSHA requirements for hearing damages is:
                        Sound Level Duration per Day
                        90 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 hours
                        91.5 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .6 hours
                        93 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 hours
                        94.5 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3 hours
                        96 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 hours
                        97.5 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1 1/2 hours
                        99 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 hour
                        102 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1/2 hour
                        105 dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1/4 hour or less
                        105+dB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . extreme risk

Now remember that I said I've never found a helmet that doesn't hit 106dB of wind-noise at 100 mph? Think about that.

KNOW THIS:
                        many professionals in the hearing-related medical fields believe that OSHA's requirements are too lax to begin with to prevent actual damages.
                        people who are young are more sensitive (more likely to get damages -- a ten year old can usually hear about 20 times better than a forty year old and a typical 4 year old can hear about 6 times better than a 10 year old). This is also why babies tend to be far lighter sleepers than adults -- sounds you may never hear can wake them up startled out of their sleep.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Do you want to get rid of the yoshi????

Comment

yeah, i got a pre 98 4-2 system thats still in goodshape and im wanting to go to a 4-1.

Comment

Working...
                            X