Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Some questions about Ivans Jet kit for Katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about Ivans Jet kit for Katana?

I have been reading up a bit and doing some searching and have a couple of questions...

I have a 2005 Kat750 with a WileyCo and 700 miles on it.

I am mostly a street rider and am interested in the Ivans Jet kit...

How does it reduce vibration? (This is something that I have noticed on my bike)

Also, for those that have installed them, can you comment on what observable improvements that you have noticed? The low and mid power gains is exactly what I am looking for...

I noticed since my break in at 600 miles (and taking it to 9000 rpm) that my Kat starts really going at 6000-9000 rpm...

I was thinking of the jet kit in conjunction with a sprocket modification as well.

One last question, Ivan's site states that it uses the stock air box etc...is that true with my WileyCo exhuast?

Thank you.

JCoria

reduce vibration ? thats a good one. ALL inline 4's will have a zone in the RPM band that will make it vibrate. if it's a problem ( besides not having a death grip on the bars ) use your tranny to stay out of that range.

one of the nicest things ( besides the MONSTER torque ) of my V-twin is the lack of vibration !

Ivans kit is HIGHLY rated. follow his direction completely.

- yes, you'll keep your stock airbox & filter.

tim

Comment

I have installed the Ivan jet kit.
      Easy job to do.
      I would suggest that you install the jet kit before regearing, you might decide that regearing is not needed.
      Instead of waiting to get to the upper RPM range to realy start pulling, My kat Pulls right from the start.
      I also noticed a seriouce reduction in vibration. Another great benifit to the jet kit, and that is the warm up time is drasticly cut down on my Kat. Choke on, Hit start button, wait about 4 seconds and shut choke off, Then by the time I get my helmet and gloves on she is ready to go..

I checked my fule milage today, I am still geting about 42 miles to the gallon.

IMO the Ivan kit is well worth the money and 4 hours it took for me to install..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Re: Some questions about Ivans Jet kit for Katana?

Originally posted by jcoria
        How does it reduce vibration? (This is something that I have noticed on my bike)
        It tends to reduce vibration compared to the OEM set-up by increasing the fueling ratio through-out the RPM range, while the stock Suzuki/Mikuni set-up tends to be lean and go very lean in a couple RPM ranges in order for the bike to meet sound and exhaust gas test requirements from the EPA/DOT. Removing these artificially lean locations in the RPM range tends to smooth the engine's operation a small amount, which (gee, oddly enough) is most noticable in the same RPM's where the stock set-up went particularly lean for regulation purposes. Since it changes the fueling to a richer mix, that has a side-effect of also increasing the vacuum levels, which makes for crisper/faster throttle response. This is not to say that all vibration will be gone, just that certain causes of vibration will be reduced.

The fueling numbers for the two different set-ups look something like this:
        STOCK (RPM: Air-to-Fuel ratio)
        IDLE: 14.7:1
        2K 14.6:1
        3K: 14.5:1
        4.5k: 14.7:1
        6k: 14.6:1
        8k: 14.3:1
        9k: 14.2:1

IVANS (RPM: Air-to-Fuel ratio)
        IDLE: 14.6:1
        2K: 13.8:1
        3K: 13.4:1
        4.5k: 13.2:1
        6k: 13.2:1
        8k: 13.1:1
        9k: 13.1:1

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yup those guys got it covered. My kat was sometimes a little stubborn starting, now no problem. Vibration was considerable at around 85 now it no longer is till maybe 95/100, definitely much better. Startup speed/pull is WAY WAY better, never had anyting I've bought before made such a noticeable difference, even when fixing up my cars. Great bang for the buck, call Ivan, he's cool, tell him your setup and he'll tell you what to do. Shouldn't have to change anything! Zuk's right, u prob want need to regear after u get this! Also I'm putting in my ignition advancer tonight, let you know how that adds since it's pretty economical!
          Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

thanks for the reply..I really would also like you to post back in reagard to the advancer...

which one did you get and where did you buy it?

JCoria

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
              IMO the Ivan kit is well worth the money and 4 hours it took for me to install..
              A big ditto on that.

Originally posted by CyberPoet
              Since it changes the fueling to a richer mix, that has a side-effect of also increasing the vacuum levels, which makes for crisper/faster throttle response. This is not to say that all vibration will be gone, just that certain causes of vibration will be reduced.
              Ditto on that.

The first noticeable difference was/is how responsive the throttle is. Second was I went for an extended ride, minimal annoying vibration right at cruising speed.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
              X