X

"03 750 Katana engine dies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "03 750 Katana engine dies

Hello. I am new to this forum but am thoroughly enjoying my '03 750 Katana. It runs strong and clean for the most part but I have a perplexing problem with the engine completely shutting down after riding at between 6000 and 7000 rpm on the highway for 30-45 minutes. I have replaced the kickstand switch thinking that may be the issue but to no avail.
    After sitting at the side of the highway for about 15 minutes or so, it fires right up like nothing happened only to repeat the scenario another 30-45 minutes down the road.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on what may be causing this? It happened to me again a couple days ago while passing and I am concerned someone may run me over in traffic one day.

Originally posted by EPJenterra View Post
    Hello. I am new to this forum but am thoroughly enjoying my '03 750 Katana. It runs strong and clean for the most part but I have a perplexing problem with the engine completely shutting down after riding at between 6000 and 7000 rpm on the highway for 30-45 minutes. I have replaced the kickstand switch thinking that may be the issue but to no avail.
    After sitting at the side of the highway for about 15 minutes or so, it fires right up like nothing happened only to repeat the scenario another 30-45 minutes down the road.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on what may be causing this? It happened to me again a couple days ago while passing and I am concerned someone may run me over in traffic one day.
    Not enough fuel flowing and your draining the carbs... is the first thing that comes to mind. Sit for a moment and the carbs refill, so it runs normal. Since it's not a stopped flow, just restricted... it would run normally in low fuel use situations (slower speeds, stop and go traffics) but at constant high speed... the use is slightly more than the flow.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1
      Check your fuel filter and make sure it's not plugged up.
      Check fuel lines and make sure they aren't starting to kink, especially as the engine warms up and the heat from it makes the lines more pliable.
      Check the vacuum line going from carb 4 to the petcock for the same thing.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
      X