X

Rear wheel spacer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel spacer?

After replacing the rear sprocket on my '94 600, the axle nut goes on too far... Before, the hole for the cotter pin was right at the end of the castle nut. Now, it's about half hanging out past the castle nut (and half inside). I've gone back over the parts and everything sure seems to be in right place (matched up how it came off with the parts fiche and everything). The only difference I can think of is that the new JT sprocket is dished and the old one was flat. It's really not a huge difference to push half the cotter pin hole out there, so I'm reasonably comfortable that's the issue unless there's a known assembly error that could result in the same thing...

Assuming that really is the problem, can I just add another washer under the nut to push it out a little more? Really, looks like just one standard washer would do it too... It's just a smidge too far for the cotter pin to be effective.

I don't think the sprocket shape would change the spacing on the axle. IF everything is where it should be then an extra washer outboard of the swingarm shouldn't cause any problem. Does the chain line up correctly with the offset?
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Yup, I welded 2 thick washers together as a spacer for that reason. Some sprockets are thicker at the wheel than others.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Yup, I welded 2 thick washers together as a spacer for that reason. Some sprockets are thicker at the wheel than others.
        I'm trying to envision any way a sprocket size or thickness would have any effect on the axle/castle nut spacing.....

Yeah, I got nothin... Pics maybe?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

not possible... went brain dead... anyway, I had the same issue after changing the sprocket, bought all new axle component and nothing changed. Made a spacer, done.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
            I don't think the sprocket shape would change the spacing on the axle. IF everything is where it should be then an extra washer outboard of the swingarm shouldn't cause any problem. Does the chain line up correctly with the offset?
            Chain appears to line up fine. Ran a straight edge down both sides from sprocket to sprocket. No visible curve, nor bends that I can see at the sprockets. If I under torque the wheel to 20 ft-lbs, the cotter pin hole will line up. However, by 40 ft-lbs (spec is 36-58) the nut is too far on... Wheels seems to spin freely as well, doesn't seem like anything is binding.

Maybe the previous owner just had under torqued it and I didn't know (nut came off hard because it had some rust). I'll go with spacers outside the swingarm and see how it goes from there!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 1LE View Post
              Chain appears to line up fine. Ran a straight edge down both sides from sprocket to sprocket. No visible curve, nor bends that I can see at the sprockets. If I under torque the wheel to 20 ft-lbs, the cotter pin hole will line up. However, by 40 ft-lbs (spec is 36-58) the nut is too far on... Wheels seems to spin freely as well, doesn't seem like anything is binding.

Maybe the previous owner just had under torqued it and I didn't know (nut came off hard because it had some rust). I'll go with spacers outside the swingarm and see how it goes from there!

Thanks!
              Post pics... But to confirm, it has the thick washer under the castle nut?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Post pics... But to confirm, it has the thick washer under the castle nut?
                Krey
                The washer under the castle nut is not what I would call thick (maybe it's the wrong one and that's the source of my problem). I measured the ID and OD of that washer and found a very close match at the hardware store (and bought 3 just to be safe ... they were cheap).

Back at the bike I loosened and tightened the castle nut to watch what happens carefully. At around 20 Ft-lbs, the swingarm and contents all compress very slightly (there's very tiny gaps previously, not even noticeable unless you're really paying attention and backlighting it). By 40 Ft-lbs it's stable. It's JUST barely enough that the cotter pin hole is too far out of the castle nut.

Only took one of the hardware store washers (on top of the original washer) to comfortably put the cotter pin hole in the castle nut. Two might even have pushed it too far (didn't try). These hardware store washers are definitely thicker than the one that was already on the bike too. I didn't try this either, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the new washers would have worked out too...

Comment

Working...
                X