Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

new head gasket = HAVE TO change out piston rings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new head gasket = HAVE TO change out piston rings?

So i have a leaky engine, needs new gaskets. 1992 gsx750f, 22k miles. otherwise runs awesome. leak is big enough that I've got to do SOMEthing...it's not just weeping oil that i can wipe off with a rag.

shop told me that on a gasket job like that on an oil-only cooled engine you *HAVE TO* then change out the piston rings and hone the cylinders. no way around it. total cost about $2500.

is that true?---you can't just put in new gaskets and be done with it?? why would someone think that?

Any info you have on this is much appreciated, my knowledge level is pretty low, and thanks very much for your time.

--joe
    2012 TW200
    1993 KLR650
    1992 GSX750F

Did you figure out where it is leaking from?
    If a compression check shows the rings are sealing then I wouldnt even bother taking the jugs off unless its leaking from the base gasket. If you have to pull the jugs, then I would lightly hone it and reuse the rings if they are within spec and compression is good.
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

The bike isn't worth $2500. Sounds like they didn't want to have anything to do with trying to fix it.

Where exactly does it leak from, and how much volume are we talking here?

You might just be able to re-torque everything.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Pics where it's leaking.

Shop maybe trying to pull a fast one over, cause there is no reason to replace rings due to an external oil leak.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Haha, may just be the valve cover leaking. If it is the head gasket, retorque the head bolts.....if that doesn't fix it, just replace the gasket.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

awesome thanks everyone. will get pics.

i'll tell you, when i take it on the highway, oil gets on the back of my front fender... if i just let it idle and rev it, it is hard to get the oil leak though.

the oil mainly comes from the top very center of the engine block.

using this diagram:
            Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at (231)737-4542

oil comes from the area of the head gasket just under #6/pn 09106-07010.

i will try to tighten everything up also.

thanks for your time!
            --joe
            2012 TW200
            1993 KLR650
            1992 GSX750F

Comment

Thats not the head gasket, its the valve cover gasket. They have a bad habit of popping out of the groove in the back when you go to put it back on. One thing I do and I think the manual says so too is to put some threebond or gasket maker in the groove so that it sticks in place when you put it on. Just make sure to clean any oil off the rubber gasket and off the cover first.
              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
              V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
              Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Originally posted by ZookRick View Post
                Thats not the head gasket, its the valve cover gasket. They have a bad habit of popping out of the groove in the back when you go to put it back on. One thing I do and I think the manual says so too is to put some threebond or gasket maker in the groove so that it sticks in place when you put it on. Just make sure to clean any oil off the rubber gasket and off the cover first.
                +1
                Need to put the bond round the 4 semi circle bits of the gasket too, should replace the gasket washers round the banjo bolts as well. Keep an eye on the 2 little pins, part 12 on your diagram as they can pull out and fall into the engine if they lift out with the valve cover. While you have the cover off good idea to check the valve clearances and also the 4 other rubber gaskets there.

Comment

wow really? i've never been so happy to have no idea what i'm talking about. if it's only the valve cover gasket then that's not so bad.

do you have to pull the engine to work on the valve cover, or can i work on it as-is? (i have a manual too, sorry if that's a lazy question).

thanks again y'all.
                  --joe
                  2012 TW200
                  1993 KLR650
                  1992 GSX750F

Comment

Nope, just wiggle it out the top. Watch the bolt below and slightly behind of the oil cooler, often missed as it is hard to see it.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 1992GSX750FMAINE View Post
                      wow really? i've never been so happy to have no idea what i'm talking about. if it's only the valve cover gasket then that's not so bad.

do you have to pull the engine to work on the valve cover, or can i work on it as-is? (i have a manual too, sorry if that's a lazy question).

thanks again y'all.
                      --joe
                      I found the cover a pain to get out with the throttle and choke cables still attached. To get it past the frame once it was just higher than the two locating pins just keep it flat and move towards the back of the bike and it shouldn't catch on anything. Stuff I used to fix the gasket after cleaning it up was "THREE BOND SCHWARZ 1207B"

Comment

Tell that mechanic that $2500 better at least come with a case of beer, a steak dinner, and a reach around.

Thats a $60ish gasket and a couple hours of work.
                        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

took it to another shop, went well. turns out that it was just the valve cover gasket like you all said! should be back on the bike this week : )

i don't know how the heck people can do the valve cover gasket, work on valves, etc, on these 4cyl katana engines without pulling the whole darn engine, but OK.

thanks again for the info everyone!

--joe
                          2012 TW200
                          1993 KLR650
                          1992 GSX750F

Comment

Lol you should see the available working space for the top end of my gsxr.

Or lack there of.

You just gotta think "small hands, small hands, small hands"
                            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                            X