X

leaking oil cooler . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking oil cooler . . .

my oil cooler is leaking from somewhere---i'm thankful the leak is not coming from head gasket or something.

can i just take the oil cooler off and run some "Stop Leak" through it and see if it fixes everything?? or will that not work on an oil cooler for some reason?

I do NOT want to put stop leak in my lovely 22,000mi gsx750f engine, right? I don't know why i wouldn't, just sounds wrong.

thanks for your time on this!
    --joe
    2012 TW200
    1993 KLR650
    1992 GSX750F

Stop leak won't fix it. Most likely a hose or crush washer is the issue.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Clean it, dry it... Run it till it leaks again. That should narrow down where it's leaking from.

If it's an actual hole in the cooler, take it off, take the cooler to a radiator shop locally, ask them to solder up the pin hole. They can repair it cheaply. Then put it back on and go on your way confident you didn't put something in the engine that would possibly reduce the oil jets flow internally that help keep the engine running cool.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Awesome, thanks very much everyone.

pretty sure its not a hose/washer. i think it might be a pin hole somewhere but who knows---there's oil everywhere. when i grabbed the actual 'mesh' of the oil cooler it felt like a wet honeycomb! we'll see.

thanks again for the info!

--joe
        2012 TW200
        1993 KLR650
        1992 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
        X