X

Bad coil or fouled plug??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad coil or fouled plug??

I think this something I've done. Yesterday I dropped a new air filter in and fuel line that comes off the back of the petock came off and I didn't notice it. I started it and soon realized that it was misfiring on the right side. I shut it off and checked the pipes and 3 and 4 were cold. Anyway, I went back in and re-attached the line and #4 cylinder is fine now but #3 is not.

Is it possible for one half of a coil go bad or should I be thinking plug wire or plug? I pulled the #3 plug and it's black and soaked with gas.

I have new plugs so I'm going to gap them and throw them in today. The work I make for myself....

I'm guessing plugs..
    I mucked around with weak spark for far too long before just replacing the plugs..
    Do a search and you will find the thread for checking the
    coils..
    Once the plugs get fouled they can become toast..
    I had cracked insulators too

Comment

Thanks BP. The boots and wires look good, I'll try the plugs and I'm hoping that'll do it. Cylinder #2 is firing fine and that's the same coil as #3.

Comment

Yep plugs.....about seconds was long enough to kill #3 plug. They were bad anyway and it was a good excuse to swap them out early.

Comment

Yeah..........FYI.............those coils seldom go bad, and never 1/2 a coil.

The plugs, on the other hand, seem to foul if you sneeze wrong near them!

And...........since 1 & 4 are on the same soil & 2 & 3 are on the other, any coil problem would show in BOTH cylinders..............

Glad you got it.

NOTE TO ALL: Don't ever use cheap plugs (unless you love changing them out!) Always use the NGK plugs spec'd for your bike
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Good advice SK and thanks for the coil info. I used the NGK jr9c and the members' input made them a snap to change.

Comment

Working...
            X