X

New Member AfterMarket Air Filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member AfterMarket Air Filter

Hello everyone I am new to the site. so I decided to remove my stock air box and now I have the black "T" fittings on carbs with no hoses on the and now the black hose going to the valve cover is disconnected looks like a pcv kinda hose. My question is it ok to leave the black "T" fittings the way they are? and when the engine is running there is smoke coming out the hose leading to the valve cover. Do I have to reroute it? Any help is appreciated.

put the airbox back on. your bike will run better with it on and the OEM type filter in place. don't believe me, use the search. "after market filter" or "PODs". looks don't mean better.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by Bossman2231 View Post
      Hello everyone I am new to the site. so I decided to remove my stock air box and now I have the black "T" fittings on carbs with no hoses on the and now the black hose going to the valve cover is disconnected looks like a pcv kinda hose. My question is it ok to leave the black "T" fittings the way they are? and when the engine is running there is smoke coming out the hose leading to the valve cover. Do I have to reroute it? Any help is appreciated.
      I'd repeat what 92xjunker said...

that said, if you are determined to deal with the performance issues then...

The two Top T fittings are vents for the carbs. The hoses on them serve as drain lines to prevent the fuel from spilling on the engine and bike in case of a tip over. I'd suggest consider putting the hoses back on and just route them differently to under the bike as before. The Ts can be turned to any angle so you have lots of options there. It won't hurt the bike if always upright and kept clean. Critters/insects could crawl in though. Keep in mind those vents must stay clear for the carbs to function correctly.

The Crank Case vent line is going to expel a variety of things. I'd suggest if you don't run some kind of catch for it, at the least put a small filter on it to prevent anything from being sucked back into the engine by pressure changes. Typically though if you don't have a catch for it, it's going to cover the top of where ever the hose terminates with lots of oil/gas mixture over time and that will collect dust. You will end up with a thick dirty mess that's a pain to clean up. Google images of "Crankcase filter" to see examples of the absolute minimal setup.

If the stock air box won't work for you, consider a custom made. You can get aluminum sheeting and brazing rods + a simple torch = easy to make custom box that looks good even on "fighter" setups.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks guys. I was going to run hoses on the "T" fittings, I'm just surprised to hear the stock filter is better. Is there any particular reason why? I have to find a new air box the bike didn't come with one when I bought it.

Comment

It's an air balance thing with the airbox, CV carbs need that restriction from the filter to pull the slides up as designed.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
          X