1999 Kat 600, damaged Carb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Kat 600, damaged Carb

Hey all,
    Long story short, I had the carbs off my 99 gsx600f which is in a storage unit at the moment. I had cleaned em all up and was prepping to put them back (Stored on top of my toolbox in the unit). At some point while I was moving some of the body parts around to make room, my buddy bumped the toolbox, and down went the whole set of carbs. The impact was all on the 4th carb I believe, the one with the vacuum hose and sensor assembly. The sensor assembly broke open, and one of the attachment points on the carb actually broke off. To top it all off, the connections between that carb body and the one to its left are slightly bent. I'm guessing bent rails and a ruined 4th carb.

Any suggestions? I googled a bit, found some used banks of carbs for approx $300. Is that going to really be my best bet at this point? I'm already $500+ in on working on her after letting it sit for nearly 2 years as life got in the way of working on her. Original issue was idle surging and bogging down when throttle was turned. Lots of resources said start at the carbs.

FYI, yes I am a total newbie at carb and engine stuff, but am wanting to learn. Just never imagined it'd get this expensive for what i thought was a minor issue. She's also my first bike so... Im attached in a stupid way. HAHA!
    ~~~
    Wraith
    1999 Suzuki Katana GSX600F

Originally posted by Wraith81 View Post
    Hey all,
    Long story short, I had the carbs off my 99 gsx600f which is in a storage unit at the moment. I had cleaned em all up and was prepping to put them back (Stored on top of my toolbox in the unit). At some point while I was moving some of the body parts around to make room, my buddy bumped the toolbox, and down went the whole set of carbs. The impact was all on the 4th carb I believe, the one with the vacuum hose and sensor assembly. The sensor assembly broke open, and one of the attachment points on the carb actually broke off. To top it all off, the connections between that carb body and the one to its left are slightly bent. I'm guessing bent rails and a ruined 4th carb.

Any suggestions? I googled a bit, found some used banks of carbs for approx $300. Is that going to really be my best bet at this point? I'm already $500+ in on working on her after letting it sit for nearly 2 years as life got in the way of working on her. Original issue was idle surging and bogging down when throttle was turned. Lots of resources said start at the carbs.

FYI, yes I am a total newbie at carb and engine stuff, but am wanting to learn. Just never imagined it'd get this expensive for what i thought was a minor issue. She's also my first bike so... Im attached in a stupid way. HAHA!

Take multiple good pics so we can confirm for sure, but... most likely can be repaired with alumiweld for the carb body. Unbend the bent parts. Replace the TPS if you really want too, but the bike will run fine with out it connected.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1

Also possible that member Arsenic has a spare carb body. He repairs and sells carb sets for a living, he's legit.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith81
        Here's a few pics. Trying to,get something for you to see. I can get some better angles if needed later tonight or tomorrow. Also will the Bike really run fine without the tps? I though that helped maintain the right levels so the Bike doesn't run too lean or rich? I'm still learning though.

1999 Katana 600 Carbs https://imgur.com/gallery/MlC4j
        The TPS midly adjusts the advance for smoother power take off/reduced emmisions in 1st & 2nd gear. If no input, the ICM runs the base curve... just like every Katana made before the TPS was added in 98. Honestly, most people would never know it's not even plugged up.

As for the dmg... I don't see anything that would prevent those carbs from working fine. Even the damage on the face of the one port... isn't really an issue, as it's the side that needs to seal to the boots.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

appears to be the choke passage is exposed, you need to seal that up. either alluma-weld or metal JBweld. your going to have to get creative if you plan on retaining the TPS, as the tabs are gone. If you have the tabs that broke off, you may be able to bond those back on.
          Last edited by 92xjunker; 05-27-2017, 05:06 PM.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I might have a 98+ 600 #4 carb body. I'm not sure, I'll have to look. Do you want me to check for you?

Comment

Alumiweld would be a simple fix on the hole.

Set the a/f screws at 2.5 turns out.

I don't think the pilot system is fully clean yet.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Spray & Pray

It's a lot easier with the tank off to get into all the tight spots and observe where it's going exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith81
                  Vacuum leaks confirmed! All the boots on the engine intake AND Air box are leaky. Guess that tells me it was a vauum AND carb issue from the start! I checked the rubber and it's indeed old and needing replaced. Gonna be a bit before I can do more work, but once I get replacements I'll hopefully have her up and running!

Thanks again everyone for the great advice. Oh and Kreylyn will be pleased to know, i found one still partially clogged pilot jet in carb 1. Everything else looked clean. I have NOT however taken the carbs off the rails for a full soak. Seems like a very daunting task but I may do it if the new boots are gong to take very long to come in.
                  Not pleased per say... Lol... but I would strongly recommend that full off the rail cleaning. Nothing more frustrating than fixing all the other stuff, and then it still now working just right.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                  X