Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Cranks no start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Filter may be air locked. Afterfire is because you loaded up the exhaust with fuel, normally associated with a lean condition. The tank is a good thought, if the vent fails the tank will pull into a vacuum and stop fuel flow.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

    Comment


    • #17
      I'd eliminate issues at this point.

      Take the tank off. Put it to the side. Run a temp aux fuel source. (verifys no tank, petcock issues).

      If no run, then...

      Take the carbs off, use a spritz / small condiment bottle to manually squirt a small amount of fuel at the carb boots. Try to start the bike.

      If no run, then not the carbs...

      It would be electrical at that point. If it runs.. but just shuts off fast, not slowly fades or winds down, I would think it was an electrical fault or tripped safety switch anyways.

      Temp by pass the entire neutral / saftey switch system to verify it's not the issue.

      Also, if you get the bike to run at all, check for arcs from any of the plug wires and boots while it's running and the tank is off. In the dark makes that really easy to spot.

      Krey
      93 750 Kat



      Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

      "I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

      Comment


      • #18
        update: finally got back out to the garage today, as Kreylan suggested I ran an aux. tank. 20 oz soda bottle half full, bike started and ran with no problem, easily ten minutes (yes had fan blowing on high at the front). Used kill switch to kill engine, attempted restart, just crank with a cpl pops like wanted to start, decided to by pass carbs so I removed the air filter (all of 2 minute procedure), bike started right back up and ran until aux tank out of fuel.

        dan

        Comment


        • #19
          Running rich....back off on the A/F screw. I would check the float needles first, by 1/4 filling the bottle and let it hang there a little while, to see if they are sealing. If the level drops, you're leaking by.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

          Comment


          • #20
            Update: SOLVED, I should learn to use the KISS method more often and to not overthink, should have just replaced the plugs, which I believe were the problem that started this all. But then thought it had to be a fuel issue, because it demonstrated the same symptoms. Turns out the aftermarket fuel filter I installed, for said fuel issue, does not allow fuel to flow through in prime, installed old filter, and all is good.
            thank you to all who gave advice and kept me sane over these past 2 weeks. Now to put her back together and get some miles under her this year. Only had 75 miles rode last year.

            thanks again
            dan

            Comment


            • #21
              Hey man - glad you got it figured out!

              Check your tire pressure and get some miles on her. Take some pics of her on your adventures and post them up for those of us getting rained on practically every day

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by bonaduce View Post
                Update: SOLVED, I should learn to use the KISS method more often and to not overthink, should have just replaced the plugs, which I believe were the problem that started this all. But then thought it had to be a fuel issue, because it demonstrated the same symptoms. Turns out the aftermarket fuel filter I installed, for said fuel issue, does not allow fuel to flow through in prime, installed old filter, and all is good.
                thank you to all who gave advice and kept me sane over these past 2 weeks. Now to put her back together and get some miles under her this year. Only had 75 miles rode last year.

                thanks again
                dan
                If you run a filter, it's got to be a pressed granular element, not a paper or sheet material filter. Paper or sheet materials are for systems with fuel pumps.

                Krey
                93 750 Kat



                Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

                "I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

                Comment


                • #23
                  Sorry to bring this back up, but have developed the same problem again. Bike runs great for the 2 miles I ride on a daily basis. Decided to ride a little longer the other day, and as I got stuck at a light, 7-10 minutes of riding the "skip and chugging" started again, so I decided to head home. The second I pulled the clutch in to make the turn into my driveway she stalled and wouldn't restart. 45 minutes later started right up. Coil going bad?

                  dan

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by bonaduce View Post
                    Sorry to bring this back up, but have developed the same problem again. Bike runs great for the 2 miles I ride on a daily basis. Decided to ride a little longer the other day, and as I got stuck at a light, 7-10 minutes of riding the "skip and chugging" started again, so I decided to head home. The second I pulled the clutch in to make the turn into my driveway she stalled and wouldn't restart. 45 minutes later started right up. Coil going bad?

                    dan
                    Filter or vacuum line being used as fuel line and it's collapsing / kinking when hot. I'd revisit the fuel delivery.

                    Krey
                    93 750 Kat



                    Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

                    "I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      If you run a filter, it's got to be a pressed granular element, not a paper or sheet material filter. Paper or sheet materials are for systems with fuel pumps.

                      Krey
                      Who makes a filter with that and is there a model # or is it an oem filter?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        http://m.ebay.com/itm/In-Line-Red-Bi...257Ciid%253A12
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          But I don't like red! Lol
                          Thanks

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            http://m.ebay.com/itm/Spectre-Blue-B...%257Ciid%253A4
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Will revisit fuel side again this week end, I may decide to just replace the entire fuel lines as they are original. Can I just use regular fuel line or should I use fuel injection hose, also is the original lines still available? Thanks for the insight gentleman.

                              dan

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by bonaduce View Post
                                Will revisit fuel side again this week end, I may decide to just replace the entire fuel lines as they are original. Can I just use regular fuel line or should I use fuel injection hose, also is the original lines still available? Thanks for the insight gentleman.

                                dan
                                I replaced mine using the OEM part for the right angle line from the tank to the inline filter and regular fuel line from the other side to the carbs. This was on an 02 600 so not sure how that compares to your bike!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X