X

1997 gsx600f wont idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 gsx600f wont idle

I recently bought my first bike, a 1997 gsx600f katana that had been sitting for an unknown amount of time. I was told that it ran at one time but needs exhaust and carb work. I pulled the carbs apart and thoroughly cleaned them. I installed new carb rebuild kits and but them back on the bike. I installed two delkevic mufflers with baffles. ( I know ebay isn't the best but its what if have to work with for now) The bike runs great after about 1/8th throttle. I have adjusted fuel mixture screws and installed one size bigger pilot jets. Doesn't seem to matter what I adjust it wont start or idle without full choke. I cannot find any vacuum leaks. any help is appreciated

Originally posted by boostkid View Post
    I recently bought my first bike, a 1997 gsx600f katana that had been sitting for an unknown amount of time. I was told that it ran at one time but needs exhaust and carb work. I pulled the carbs apart and thoroughly cleaned them. I installed new carb rebuild kits and but them back on the bike. I installed two delkevic mufflers with baffles. ( I know ebay isn't the best but its what if have to work with for now) The bike runs great after about 1/8th throttle. I have adjusted fuel mixture screws and installed one size bigger pilot jets. Doesn't seem to matter what I adjust it wont start or idle without full choke. I cannot find any vacuum leaks. any help is appreciated
    The simple of it... the pilot jet system is not clean. Pull the carbs, reclean them. Pay close attention to the pilot jet/pilot air jet and the internal carb body ports between them.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I ran carb cleaner and compressed air through all the pilot circuit passages in the carb. They all seem to be flowing fine. I've been told by multiple people it sounds like an air leak which is causing a lean mixture. Cylinders 1 and 3 are way hotter than 2 and 4. On a thermal imager they are 500 degrees hotter

Comment

If the pilot jet & circuits are in fact clean & working, you might want to try squirting a little carb cleaner where the rubber intakes meet the head. There's an o-ring in there that can either deform, crack or the boots themselves could be cracked.

A 500 deg difference seems like a lot...so it's probably running really lean.

Comment

Originally posted by boostkid View Post
          I ran carb cleaner and compressed air through all the pilot circuit passages in the carb. They all seem to be flowing fine. I've been told by multiple people it sounds like an air leak which is causing a lean mixture. Cylinders 1 and 3 are way hotter than 2 and 4. On a thermal imager they are 500 degrees hotter
          Um... lets switch up and check your plug wire connections.

Left coil, 1-4, right coil 2-3. Check those.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Um... lets switch up and check your plug wire connections.

Left coil, 1-4, right coil 2-3. Check those.

Krey

Not to get sidetracked but...question:

The twin coil setups on these bikes are batch fire/spark to waste, right? Both leads on one coil fire and one ignites one cylinder @ power stroke and the other @ exhaust stroke?

Comment

Yes, wasted spark (two plugs fire at the same time, 180* out of time.)
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yes.... and it's amazing at how well these engines still run firing on only 2 or 3 cylinders.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Ok wires are correct.

Comment

Tonight it started to act a little better. Three cylinders are now running the same temp. I can get it to run on half choke but no less than 1/3 choke or it just dies no matter how high I set the idle speed

Comment

Your carbs are still dirty. Namely the pilot jets and or the passages from them.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                      X