X

are engine valve adjustments needed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are engine valve adjustments needed?

I've got a 95 katana 750 with 49k. it was running rough and only getting 20 miles or less to the gallon. I put factory needles in the carbs and it smoothed out but I'm still hurting with fuel economy. would having the valves checked help the fuel issue?

Some, yes. but, you have carbs issues.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Air screw out of adjustment or wrong jets?

Comment

Originally posted by antix875 View Post
        Air screw out of adjustment or wrong jets?
        Well there is large list of possible issues, but... the short of it... a full disassembly, cleaning, inspection, and repair is needed on the carbs.

You would need to verify the emulsion tubes are not out of round, the float needles are seating/sealing, and not damaged. All orings are round, not flattened, broken, cracked... Additional inspection of the slides, diaphrams, and so on. Once a full cleaning and repair on them are done, a vacuum leak test, fuel leak test, and then once running... carb sync will be needed.

As for what needs replaced, well... that's what the inspection process is for.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Is there an upgrade kit to where I can switch to fuel injection?

Comment

Doubt it.....even if there was, the bike isn't worth the cost to do it. More fuss then needed. Plus.....carbs are simple and reliable. Just have to fuss with them every 20,000kms or so. I just run seaform in the gas every 5th tank or so. Never any issues with mine

Comment

It's been done, but neither cheap not easy. Megasquirt is what I've seen people use. Definitely not a drop in kit though.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

At 49k miles you definatly need to do a valve adjustment. Might have something to do with the rough running. Hopefully you dont have any burnt valves.
                1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Working...
                X