X

Clutch slipping over 7K

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch slipping over 7K

Bought my '98 Katana 750VR1 with 17000 miles on it. Soon after I purchased, I realized the clutch slipped very consistently any time, any gear over 7krpm. I'd estimate I get about 30% of the power over 7krpm, but I really have to feather/let off the throttle to keep it from redlining.

A coworker mentioned it could be the clutch oil, and a mechanic said I should just get new clutch plates. Any thoughts which path I should go down first?

I'm new to the kat, and fairly new to motorcycle maintenance in general. Are engine oil, tranny oil, and clutch oil all separate?

Thanks!

I don't if it's a oil issue, probably needs new fiber clutch plates.
    1990 katana 1100

Comment

Originally posted by jgeating View Post
      Bought my '98 Katana 750VR1 with 17000 miles on it. Soon after I purchased, I realized the clutch slipped very consistently any time, any gear over 7krpm. I'd estimate I get about 30% of the power over 7krpm, but I really have to feather/let off the throttle to keep it from redlining.

A coworker mentioned it could be the clutch oil, and a mechanic said I should just get new clutch plates. Any thoughts which path I should go down first?

I'm new to the kat, and fairly new to motorcycle maintenance in general. Are engine oil, tranny oil, and clutch oil all separate?

Thanks!
      There is only one type of oil in the engine, not seperate types. Has to be motorcycle oil, made for wet clutches. Some car oils will make your clutch slip. Who changed the oil last in the bike? what oil was used? it could be the problem.
      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
      V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
      Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Service type SE or SF (minimum) MC oil. Cheap Diesel engine oil will also work. Mobil 1 4T is great synth MC oil
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
        X