Carb Cleaning. Found Mismatching Pilot Jets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaning. Found Mismatching Pilot Jets

Good afternoon all,

91 Kat 600; someone else's old project I bought. I am cleaning my carbs, and I pulled out the pilot jets for the first time and lo and behold, one of them is not like the others!

Larger on left, mismatching small one on right:

This bike has a full V&H exhaust system, stock air filter and a jet kit; the needles have the adjustable perch thingies. So I'm guessing the genius before me lost one of the pilot jets and figured "Hm, i'll just substitute one of a different size." This could help explain the poor running when I bought it.

I am doing this bike on a budget, and would really prefer not to buy an entire aftermarket jet kit just to replace one missing jet. Is it possible to order a replacement set of just pilot jets, or somehow figure out the size and replace just the one?

Thank you all! This site is endlessly helpful.
    Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 03-04-2017, 03:14 PM.

The lone one on the end is what they should look like. Jet kits don't include those. Buy 4 new jets, they are cheap. 32.5 is the size.....I think, check the manual for the size. Yup, 32.5 is the size. http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php?...Specifications
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-04-2017, 03:30 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The size is 32.5, none of those pilot jets are the right one. The stock pilot jets don't have any bleed holes in the body.
      pre 98 Katana 32.5 pilot jet

Comment

Ahhh, didn't see those....
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          The size is 32.5, none of those pilot jets are the right one. The stock pilot jets don't have any bleed holes in the body.
          pre 98 Katana 32.5 pilot jet
          Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          The lone one on the end is what they should look like. Jet kits don't include those. Buy 4 new jets, they are cheap. 32.5 is the size.....I think, check the manual for the size. Yup, 32.5 is the size. http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php?...Specifications
          Thanks for the help guys - interesting. I know carb tuning and jet selection is a deep rabbit hole - but would it be prudent to get slightly larger-than-stock sizes given the exhaust?

Comment

Not the pilot jets. If all you have is a slip-on, you most likely don't need larger main either. You'd need to check the tune once running.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Not the pilot jets. If all you have is a slip-on, you most likely don't need larger main either. You'd need to check the tune once running.
              Got it. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X