X

750 engine swap.. petcock issue?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 engine swap.. petcock issue?

So I just finished swapping out a bad 750 2004 engine with a 750 2001 engine (spliced the signal generator wires together) only to find that the bike won't start up. It will turn over like a champ and even fires a couple times with starting fluid, but it just won't catch. I have 4 new spark plugs that I'm going to install tonight hoping that will fix it..

But I was testing the petcock and I'm not even sure if it's working correctly. If I understand correctly.. if I take the gas tank off the bike, disconnect all the hoses, and switch the petcock to prime then gas should flow freely out of the tank right? Because it only drips like once every 2-3 seconds.. could it possibly be clogged???

The bike went down last July (why I had to do an engine swap) and his been sitting since then with gas in the tank.

Originally posted by rhijaen View Post
    So I just finished swapping out a bad 750 2004 engine with a 750 2001 engine (spliced the signal generator wires together) only to find that the bike won't start up. It will turn over like a champ and even fires a couple times with starting fluid, but it just won't catch. I have 4 new spark plugs that I'm going to install tonight hoping that will fix it..

But I was testing the petcock and I'm not even sure if it's working correctly. If I understand correctly.. if I take the gas tank off the bike, disconnect all the hoses, and switch the petcock to prime then gas should flow freely out of the tank right? Because it only drips like once every 2-3 seconds.. could it possibly be clogged???

The bike went down last July (why I had to do an engine swap) and his been sitting since then with gas in the tank.
    Prime is not working. Your expectation that it should flow is correct.

It's possible someone has been in the petcock before, and put it together wrong resulting in the spring being bend/damaged that would hold open the diaphram. OR... the diaphram could be stuck in place due to it sitting for so long.

Either way, open the petcock up, clean it up, inspect for damage, and put it back together carefully so as not to bend the spring inside.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Prime is not working. Your expectation that it should flow is correct.

It's possible someone has been in the petcock before, and put it together wrong resulting in the spring being bend/damaged that would hold open the diaphram. OR... the diaphram could be stuck in place due to it sitting for so long.

Either way, open the petcock up, clean it up, inspect for damage, and put it back together carefully so as not to bend the spring inside.

Krey
      Thanks for the response. I'll get to that this weekend.. will I need a new o-ring for mounting the petcock??

Comment

Originally posted by rhijaen View Post
        Thanks for the response. I'll get to that this weekend.. will I need a new o-ring for mounting the petcock??
        O-Rings are re-usable if not damaged. Check for chips cracks or wear, but if fine... can continue to use them.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I ended up buying a used petcock off ebay. Got her started last night. The idle is pretty variable and it dies at low rpm. Probably needs a carb cleaning? To be fair it was about 32degrees outside when I started it

Comment

Working...
          X