X

Runs but something inside is not right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runs but something inside is not right

OK so here is the deal......riding home one day going into 6th, I noticed my clutch leaver felt funny. I pulled it in one more time to see if it still felt that way and yep it felt like the cable snapped and I could not disengage the clutch. No big deal I could still get home, but about 5 miles down the road I noticed my oil light came on. I told my brother we needed to pull over my light came on. As I was getting g into the right lane the bike started to stumble and slow down, unless I gave it more throttle. Then my brother told me it was starting to blow smoke out the exhaust. As the bike was slowing down I was downshifting as well until I got it into neutral. Once we were stopped along the road I started the bike back up and it sounded like a bunch of metal slapping around against stuff coming from inside the motor. Its a 97 750 katana with roughly 71000 miles on it regularly maintained does anyone have ideas before I tear into this as to where I should start looking?
    Last edited by emptysmile005; 01-21-2017, 02:10 PM.

Try a good used motor, sounds like it blew the motor.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Pull the various engine covers off - valve covers, clutch cover, etc. If the motor is nuked, you'll probably be able to tell pretty easily.
      Could also pull the oil pan and look for any bits or pieces.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Update...... after doing compression test found #1 had no reading at all put my bore scope inside piston is cracked. So it it what it is....

Comment

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I want to see carnage pictures
            1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
            V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
            Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Working...
            X