X

Kat 750 b12 swap (about time)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat 750 b12 swap (about time)

Finally decided to swap in a bandit 1200 engine, still not a gsxr1100 engine, but close.

I already bought just about everything I need. The b12 engine will be going in a 2006 katana 750.

One of my main questions is; Can I use the carbs off of the 750, since they are bst36, on the 1200 with some rejetting? I noticed that the carbs fit the b12 like a glove. I really don't want to buy the b12 carbs, but i will if i have to.
    Last edited by 44vulcan; 01-03-2017, 05:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Have fun with the build!
    No idea about the carbs, might be able to look on a bandit forum for jetting and see what baseline is supposed to be. By the time you add up all the individual jets, it's probably not quite the savings you're expecting. Some jets run ~$10 each, and there's several different types you'd need.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

During the last couple days I adjusted the Valves on the bandit and dropped the 750 engine.

At the moment I'm slowly grinding breather cap and frame.

I'm still on the edge where-either I should buy b12 carbs or, if possible, rejet the existing kat750 carbs.
      Last edited by 44vulcan; 01-05-2017, 04:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'd start with just running the 750 carbs. If it needs jetting, that's simple to do.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          I'd start with just running the 750 carbs. If it needs jetting, that's simple to do.

Krey
          Thanks!!!

Comment

After a lot of cussing and hammering, I got it all bolted up.

Next up, I will swap the gears from the bandit's alternator to the kat's alternator.

Comment

Finally got switched the gears over. I bought a chain wrench ( http://www.harborfreight.com/locking...amp-36813.html) and it helped a lot.

Now comes the wiring! The plug that comes from the signal generator plugs right up. (three wire Green, yellow, and blue). However, I'm an idiot for not labeling some of the wires I unplugged. I was able to figure some of the plugs from looking at the wiring diagram of the b12 and kat750.

Katana 750:

Bandit 1200:
              Last edited by 44vulcan; 01-07-2017, 02:38 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Got the b12 headers installed. I will get them torqued once i find the specs. They are a lot larger in diameter. I had to bend out the oil cooler lowers support to get them to fit.

Comment

I ran into another problem with the sprocket cover. The pushrod that came with the b12 was bent so I have to modify the kat750's pushrod.

Another issue is that there is interference between the cover itself and "stay washer" (see picture 1-1).

(picture 1-1)

Sprocket cover:

Comment

Well, I stopped taking pictures of the build since I was in a hurry to get it together before school started. I put together and slapped Holeshots stage 2 jets with a KN filter in the stock air box. Ran great from idle to 4k then it would sputter from 4k~6k rpm with not power whatsoever then from 7k to redline it would pull like crazy. I still commuted to school on the highway (70miles total) but kept it under 4k which was around 70mph.

Then last week I took it to Sabin performance here in Dallas, and he got most of the issues worked out on the dyno. Still has a slight dip in hp/torque at around 5k~6k. Runs much better. Got 117hp @9k with a big fat torque curve all throughout the range. I'll try and post up the dyno sheet soon.

Comment

Would love to see the dyno sheet for that
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                      X