X

Mixture screw setting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixture screw setting

I know there's a bunch of posts on the and the carbs 101 tells how to set.. But I STILL have a question. The wiki says factory set at 1.6 turns out and the carbs 101 says start at 2.5 turns out then adjust for highest rpm.. And yes of course a good method with a well running bike and no jet, intake, or exhaust changes would be to record the setting and go back to same place..

First, why does the wiki say 1.6 turns and the 101 say start at 2.5? Did I read somewhere the factory sets them lean so starting at 2.5 turns may well be close enough? Does the factory set with an ega or set them all 1.6 turns out?

Second, I'm working On this bike I never saw run but its stock and the screws were set about 2.5 except #3 (with the larger 110 jet) was set at 3.. Does this suggest that someone might have successfully tuned this bike or I made an error or the factory made an error?
    '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
    '83 xj550 maxim
    '84 xvz1200
    '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
    '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

The factory doesnt set them to anything specific. Total laziness. but there is also a brass plug over them. If you didnt remove the brass plug to get to them, somebody has in fact tinkered with them. I'll give you the short, definitive answer. It's 2.5 turns out. Honestly, with them being CV carbs, assuming they are jetted and balanced properly, you will not need to adjust them. Technically, the only way to ACTUALLY tell would be to hook up a sniffer, but since there arent 4 individual pipes, using a sniffer to confirm/deny A/F mixture is impossible.

So, dont overthink it. Set them all to 2.5 turns out and move on. lol
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
      The factory doesnt set them to anything specific. Total laziness. but there is also a brass plug over them. If you didnt remove the brass plug to get to them, somebody has in fact tinkered with them. I'll give you the short, definitive answer. It's 2.5 turns out. Honestly, with them being CV carbs, assuming they are jetted and balanced properly, you will not need to adjust them. Technically, the only way to ACTUALLY tell would be to hook up a sniffer, but since there arent 4 individual pipes, using a sniffer to confirm/deny A/F mixture is impossible.
      So, dont overthink it. Set them all to 2.5 turns out and move on. lol
      Negative, we have a member whose done it. Truput? Don't remember his name but believe he's an Aussie. He installed a sniffer and used it to tune, and gets the best milage I've heard reported. Dunno exactly what he did, but he done it.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Just to add to your frustration, the drop down method is also a good way to better adjust the A/F mixture.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
        X