X

Was running?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was running?

Hello, new to the forum's here. I made an account because I couldn't find the exact problem I am having on here.

I recently bought a 2006 Katana 600 with 12k miles. Upon arriving the PO already had it running. It was running on choke, and when took off choke it would want to die. The PO then told me the idle adjustment cable wasn't connected at all. He also told me he had the carbs cleaned in April. I figured the idle adjustment cable not being attached was an issue. I rode it home, 5 min away from where I picked it up at. I noticed the rpms wouldn't go above 3.5k in neutral when I got it home.

So knowing the idle adjustment screw was disconnected I took the tank off and carbs to attach it. Reseated the carbs and airbox and it wouldn't start up. It's getting spark and I've changed the plugs just for good measure. I noticed the petcock was bad so I replaced it and is now in working order. Battery tested good at advance. I've even tried a battery out of a prekat that I know would start the prekat, nothing. Checked all safety switches and they were in the position allowing the bike to start. Rarely I've heard it sputter, and one time since it started for like 3 seconds and then died. Most of the time it cranks and doesn't make the sputtering noise. You just hear the starter noise, air is coming out of the exhaust when I put my hand over it.

Any help is appreciated. I haven't cleaned the carbs yet. Seems to be getting fuel. Just not sure why it was running before and all I did was put a new petcock on and attach the idle adjustment cable. Any help if greatly appreciated.

Please note : I have tried starting it with a little choke, 1/4,1/2, full choke. No choke, no choke throttle. Nothing seems to be making a audible difference.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Xerrith; 12-30-2016, 02:34 PM.

Carbs may have been cleaned in April.....why was the idle adjuster not installed? My guess, he lied a little. A bike stored with fuel in the carbs won't run in a very short time, must less 8 months. Your carbs WILL need to be recleaned and the tank should be drained and refilled with fresh fuel, ethanol issue. Check out "carbs 102".
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Junker. I've worked on smaller engines with carb's before, but this is my first sport bike. I'll set aside time this weekend to drain the gas, put fresh in, and follow carbs 102.

Side question - It does have a slip on Delkivic (not sure I spelled that correctly) slip on. Will the carbs need to be rejetted because of that? Asking because if I'm having them apart for cleaning it'd make sense to do that then if need be.

Comment

No, but, a jet kit won't hurt either. just set the A/F screw at 2.5 turn out.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Its possible that there is already a jet kit in it too. Without looking at the main jet sizes (most thorough) if the jet needles have an e-clip, and are adjustable, its very likely there is a jet kit in it. Factory jet needles are not adjustable.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Thank you for the info!! I'll take note of this, we're going to start on them tonight. I'll keep you updated with progress.

Comment

Cleaned the carbs, new fuel filter, and fresh premium gas and she's running! Thanks for the help.

Comment

2 things. Not trying to be a dick, just informative.
                1) use regular gas. The bike was engineered to run on regular. There is literally no benifit to running premium under normal conditions. Non normal would be where premium is ethanol free, or its hot as hell and your bike is pinging because it is too lean.
                2) if you cleaned them that quickly, then the carbs aren't clean. Pilot jets (internal passages) typically require soaking for 24 hours each. In a gallon can of cleaner you can fit 2. So 48 hour minimum.

Glad she's running though! 2.5 turns out = awesome. In case you didn't already, sync the carbs. Required anytime they are removed from the bike.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks for the information shpielers. So the bike is running and idles pretty good without the choke. However it won't rev past 4-5k rpms easily. Where's the A/F screw? I didn't turn that at all.

Also noticed the stock air box has a k&n filter. Not sure if that's affecting anything
                  Last edited by Xerrith; 12-31-2016, 10:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yeah, ditch that pos filter, OEM type is the best to use. Your going to have to clean the carbs.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Yeah I'm going to go through them again and soak them for like 48 hour as shpielers stated.

What carb sync tool would you recommend? I've seen a few different versions on here as well as the homemade. I'd prefer to just buy one.

Comment

Motion pro is what I use.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

If my carbs still have the caps for the A/F screws should I drill them out to adjust or leave them factory setting?

Comment

Drill and adjust. Be real careful not to drill the needle.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Okay, I'm trying to figure out which on is the a/F cap. There's a larger brass piece more sunken in closer to the bowls, and then there's a much smaller on that protrudes out more.

Here's a pic.
                              Last edited by Xerrith; 01-01-2017, 03:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X