X

'95 gsx750 carb float pin spring stuck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 gsx750 carb float pin spring stuck

I'm rebuilding carbs on this bike that sat for a long time and on re-assy, I noticed that the sping loaded float pin piston is stuck in three out of four float assy's. with spray carb cleaner and hot water and agitation I got one of the pins fee but I still have these two float assy's with the float piston (the little spring loaded nub that contacts the float tab)stuck in the out position.. hot water, carb spray, penetrating oil and even hot chem dip all the while rattling the float hasn't loosened the pin so I left the two floats partially submerged in chem dip (trying to keep the float pin tip out of the chem dip). I understand that the float pins cannot be removed from the float assemblies so is there any tricks for freeing the sping loaded float pin piston? I'm afraid if I force the piston in, I will never get it out..
    '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
    '83 xj550 maxim
    '84 xvz1200
    '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
    '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

Might have to buy new ones, they should be included in rebuild kits. Haven't heard of this particular problem before personally.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The float needle can certainly be taken out of the float. The float is two pieces. Take them apart. The needle comes out.

Comment

Assuming I get the float apart without snapping something, is there a replacement needle? And any suggestions to loosen the pin?
        '83 xj550 maxim
        '84 xvz1200

Comment

Originally posted by GaryS-NJ View Post
          Assuming I get the float apart without snapping something, is there a replacement needle? And any suggestions to loosen the pin?
          Soak the carb bodies in carb dip cleaner. The cleaner will help to remove the various deposits that hold the pin in. Just remove all the other orings first. I've never run into the cleaner having an issue with any of the plastic parts, and I regularly dip them all including the floats as well when I do a carb cleaning.

After the 24 hour dip, if it's still not moving freely... you can also file/cut a slot in the very end of the pin, and use a flat head screw driver to spin it. Once it's loose, it should be able to be lightly tapped/twist turn out with out breaking the pin holder posts.

Replacement needles are cheapest in rebuild kits in my experience. Comes with most of the other rubber as well for the rebuild. I'd check that first.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Chem dip soak loosened the last plunger. I tried to keep the viton needle tip above the soak but we'll see. Thanks all!
            '83 xj550 maxim
            '84 xvz1200

Comment

Working...
            X