No announcement yet.
X

Rusty Tank Electrolysis - Not Working??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Tank Electrolysis - Not Working??

Hello all,

Let me start by saying I have read the thread below in its entirety multiple times (thanks Krey) and am stuck:
    Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

I have a rusty tank I am trying to clean out. Using plain steel rebar as an anode, and sanded down a spot to bare metal on the tank to clamp negative to.

My charger does not turn on when it's all connected. My understanding is I need a manual battery charger, so i picked one up at Harbor Freight:

CHARGER

The charger will kick on as soon as it is connected to a battery. However I cannot get it to work with the tank. I am certain the anode is not grounding out on the tank (I tried manually holding it just inside the water), and nowhere I place the negative clamp on the tank seems to work, including my bare metal spot.

Do I have the wrong kind of charger? This one says "manual". Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 12-27-2016, 02:55 PM.

Electronically controlled chargers will not start without a detected voltage at the battery source. You need and old school charger (no electronics). Vaporust works well also, derusted an entire bike with it. Available at auto parts stores.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Dingus. Thanks 92x. Apparently "manual" does not mean "manual."

Looks like I need to scour San Diego to see if any store actually does have a manual charger before the holiday break is over.

Comment

Yup 92 is right, that charger is wayyy too new to feed electricity 100% of the time. BUT, I used one of those chargers too. to keep the battery charged. Hook anode/cathode (?? forgot the vocab as its been a while) to a battery, preferably car (I guess? thats what I used) and ALSO connect the battery charger to the battery. Battery will power electrolysis, charger will keep battery maintained. I've done it twice, with exceptional luck.

Note: doing it this way will make it take longer i think. The first time i did it, it was about 36 hours, the tank was exceptionally fucked though. The second time, i did it for about 52 with a tank in better condition, and it was almost spotless after just a good strong stream from the hose. I also changed out the solvent and cleaned the anode (right? the one suspended in the water) every 24 hours Sprayed it off, ground it clean, rinsed tank, added new Baking Soda water and repeat. Start early in the day so you can keep an eye on your rig, make sure nothing plugged into anything (charger or battery) gets overly hot before you go in for the night. Mine didn't. Just a disclaimer. lol
        Last edited by maniac1886; 12-27-2016, 06:54 PM.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by Heeltoeclutch View Post
          Dingus. Thanks 92x. Apparently "manual" does not mean "manual."

Looks like I need to scour San Diego to see if any store actually does have a manual charger before the holiday break is over.
          Thrift store, pawn shops or yard sales.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Manual = you directly turn it on. No automatic or electronic start/stop.

Harbor Freight still sells some models that are manual. I looked up the one you got, and it's features are...
            • Self-resetting circuit breaker
            • Switches to trickle mode when battery is completely charged
            • Thermal protection shutoff
            • Auto shutoff

The last part, auto shutoff... that's the main problem, but the auto switch to trickle mode is also a problem.

This is more like the model I use... The auto shutoff is a timer, and will have a non timer mode that is just on. http://www.harborfreight.com/240200-...art-63043.html

As for my more recent experiences with doing the tank cleaning...

1. 24 hours total, no need to swap water or change the anode as long as it's still there.
            2. After the 24 hours, use a pressure wash (even if you don't have one, most towns still have the old school coin car wash you can use rinse setting at = pressure washer) to rinse out the tank. I found that anything that was still sticking to the tank didn't have to be fully dissolved, it was already "loose" and just needed to be rinsed/washed off.
            3. Have the cup of water absorbent liquid (alcohol for example) ready immediately after the rinse.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
              Yup 92 is right, that charger is wayyy too new to feed electricity 100% of the time. BUT, I used one of those chargers too. to keep the battery charged. Hook anode/cathode (?? forgot the vocab as its been a while) to a battery, preferably car (I guess? thats what I used) and ALSO connect the battery charger to the battery. Battery will power electrolysis, charger will keep battery maintained. I've done it twice, with exceptional luck.

Note: doing it this way will make it take longer i think. The first time i did it, it was about 36 hours, the tank was exceptionally fucked though. The second time, i did it for about 52 with a tank in better condition, and it was almost spotless after just a good strong stream from the hose. I also changed out the solvent and cleaned the anode (right? the one suspended in the water) every 24 hours Sprayed it off, ground it clean, rinsed tank, added new Baking Soda water and repeat. Start early in the day so you can keep an eye on your rig, make sure nothing plugged into anything (charger or battery) gets overly hot before you go in for the night. Mine didn't. Just a disclaimer. lol
              Maniac, I was wondering if this would work. As I understand:

1. Hook battery to tank
              2. Hook charger to battery

Is that correct? If so, what setting did you charge at?

Thanks!

Comment

I don't remember, the highest one. Lol the charger I used only had 2 settings, ooks like urs has three. I'd start in the middle and let it go for 5/6 hours and check it's temp, and charge then go from there.

But yes, hook battery to tank, hook charger to battery.
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I don't remember, the highest one. Lol the charger I used only had 2 settings, ooks like urs has three. I'd start in the middle and let it go for 5/6 hours and check it's temp, and charge then go from there.

But yes, hook battery to tank, hook charger to battery.

Heh, I just tried it with the setup mentioned - and the insulation on the clamps started melting and smoking. Unclamped it and the clamps were about 1,000,000 degrees.

I tried to insulate the ends of the rebar so it would not contact the tank - but looks like I have a short somewhere.

Sidenote - Maniac, are you in Flint MI? I went to Kettering Univ. there.

Comment

Reduce your rod to a coat hanger, make sure your electrolyte mixture is correct.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      Reduce your rod to a coat hanger, make sure your electrolyte mixture is correct.

I used rebar for the greater surface area - one of the things Krey suggested for speeding it up? and using his recommendation of 1/3 to 1/2 cup of washing soda per 5 gallons.

Comment

What size wire are you using? There is some high resistance somewhere.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Flint MI indeed. I had very close friends that lived in those neighborhoods. I grew up pestering campus security. We would take our pedal bikes/rollerblades /skateboards and skate the parking lot and stairs sets. I use to giggle so much when those old Fuckers would try to chase us!! Haha to be a hooligan again. I live by Baker College now though, if. You know where that's at.
                          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                            What size wire are you using? There is some high resistance somewhere.
                            I was using two pieces of rebar taped together - one had slid out of the tape and I think was touching the bottom. Heh.

Switched to only one piece and taped the end, and it looks to be bubbling along nicely!

I am going to stay out here all day with it to make sure it doesn't catch fire or anything.

Thanks for the troubleshooting help guys!

Comment

Flint MI indeed. I had very close friends that lived in those neighborhoods. I grew up pestering campus security. We would take our pedal bikes/rollerblades /skateboards and skate the parking lot and stairs sets. I use to giggle so much when those old Fuckers would try to chase us!! Haha to be a hooligan again. I live by Baker College now though, if. You know where that's at.
                              You grew up in Flint? You must have seen some shit.

I used to ride my 500R out around the airport - that's sorta near Baker. I hope you didn't drink too much water in the past 2 years. Fuckers. I can't believe that.

I graduated in 2014, so I was exposed to the river water for a few months but not too long. But all my friends and classmates who were still there.... man.

Comment

Working...
                              X