Front Sprocket Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Sprocket Help

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone knew if there is an offset on the front sprocket for a 2000 Katana 750. I replaced the factory sprocket with a JT one, which is completely flat, no offset...and aligned the rear wheel, lubed the chain ect., but now there is this fine aluminum powder coming from somewhere, like it's grinding slightly.

I threw away the OEM sprocket before I really looked at it closely, so does anyone know if there is an offset that needs to be accounted for?

Thanks.

no one has replaced the front sprocket before, or knows where this information can be obtained? Google isn't offering anything.

Comment

JT front sprocket is steel no? So where would aluminum powder come from?

Unless you got an oversized sprocket, and it's the chain chewing into the cover now. That would probably cause the issue.

No offset btw.

Gonna assume you matched the sprocket to the chain as well. OEM was a 530... Though some have put 520 setups on their Kats.

Take the cover off, tell us what's going on. That's the simple answer.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Okay, thanks. I do not know what type of metal it is, I shouldn't have said aluminum. I popped the cover off again, and there's no grinding/contact anywhere when I spin the wheel, at least as far as I can tell.

I do think that the PO was involved in some kind of crash, because the swingarm definitely does not look straight to me. also, when I first got the bike, the alignment markers on the side of the bike were WAY off, like 6 notches on one side and 1.5 notches on the other, as if he had to account for a bent swingarm to get alignment.

I'm starting to think that it grinds when I try to align the wheel with the markers...is there a simple way to see if the rear geometry is correct

Comment

Originally posted by fflier9 View Post
          Okay, thanks. I do not know what type of metal it is, I shouldn't have said aluminum. I popped the cover off again, and there's no grinding/contact anywhere when I spin the wheel, at least as far as I can tell.

I do think that the PO was involved in some kind of crash, because the swingarm definitely does not look straight to me. also, when I first got the bike, the alignment markers on the side of the bike were WAY off, like 6 notches on one side and 1.5 notches on the other, as if he had to account for a bent swingarm to get alignment.

I'm starting to think that it grinds when I try to align the wheel with the markers...is there a simple way to see if the rear geometry is correct
          Markers will never match up 100%. Not supposed too. What they are meant to be is a reference once you get the wheel lined up, for adjustments. So if you move left 1 notch, you would move right 1 notch to keep it lined up. But you need to align the wheel first correctly.

There are a few different options, but probably one of the simpler would be to use a straight rod placed flat on the sprocket sticking out towards the chain/front of the bike. The tip should end up at the same space on the chain as the other end is sitting against the sprocket. A small dow rod or wire, as long as they won't flex/bend on their own weight.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by fflier9 View Post
            no one has replaced the front sprocket before, or knows where this information can be obtained? Google isn't offering anything.
            Katanas haven't been made in 10+ years, and we're all old farts here. Takes us a while to respond.

Where is the powder you're noticing accumulating?
            +1 to the no offset on the sprocket.
            You can also try to align the wheel yourself and see how much off the swing arm looks at that point. Best way to align it (personal opinion) is to measure the exact same distance from center of the swingarm pivot bolt back to the alignment adjusters. Set the distances the same on both sides.
            Also, did you get an OEM sized front sprocket? Too small will cause issues that prematurely wear the chain (and might cause buildup of shavings, but more likely just result.innagraigjt upchain failure) too large and you grind against a mounting point of the sprocket cover.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

If you run a magnet across the shavings, and they are steel you will pick some up, if they are aluminum you won't. That's a sure fire way to at least start to diagnose where they are coming from..
              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
              X