Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Valve with Very Small Clearance?

Hey guys,

1996 GSX600F

Doing the readings for my valve adjustment today (I've done it before on a different bike with shim over bucket adjust), however, I had one valve which, to me, is giving a very troubling reading.

Actually, I couldn't get much of a reading at all.

Because my smallest gauge wouldn't fit! I have a Motion Pro feeler gauge set with .003 mm as the smallest. Every other valve was readable, but my right (from the perspective of sitting on the bike) cylinder 1 exhaust valve wouldn't even fit a .003 mm gauge. I turned the engine several times and checked again - very very tight.

What am I looking at here? A bent valve? A burnt valve? Some sort of bad "connection" somewhere in the parts between the cam lobe and the shim? Or just a random valve which decided to beat its face into the seat so hard relative to the rest of them that it is very out of spec?

Anyone seen this before?

Or an old ooops when adjusting the valves previously. Change the shim and recheck it at 7500 miles. (Next interval)
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
    X