X

Oil filters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filters

There is a ton of information on this forum and just getting my '95 kat 750, I asked a few dumb questions without reading first.. But on oil filters, I think I read all we have on here and I also read a lot of other sites..

I'm inclined to get the NAPA or wix 51359 else the emgo 55660, or the Puralator ML16818.

But I'm thinking in the spring, I might install the Bales filter adapter 9if it will work) and run the PL14610.

The 12 page thread I read here had a lot of filter dissections but is pretty old. Is there a latest best filter to buy here in the States?? Also, on the CASI site I read about using an adapter and the Pure One PL14610. CALSCI seems to indicate that the Pure One PL14610 is the best for motorcycles (understood some old posts here referenced the Puralator site advising against their PL14610 for motorcycles) and the Suzi OEM is crap.

has anyone here installed the bales adapter to run the PL14610 (any issue extracting the old nipple or fitting in the PL14610?)?

here is the link to the bales adapter.. will it fit in my 1995 kat 750? and what if I upgrade my header ?? http://balestech.com/purchase.htm

and here's the CALSCI link that says to use the PL14610: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Oh and in case this post hasn't stirred more reactions than the recent election, I have been using the rotella diesel oil and planned to stick with it for my katana/
    '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
    '83 xj550 maxim
    '84 xvz1200
    '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
    '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

I use the t3 as well in my truck as well as every bike I have owned works great

why not save up and put one of these on http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarke...ilter?m=147825

I have one and it works great

Comment

metal mesh filters and the bales adapter

I read that the metal mesh cleanable filters do not filter very small particles.. So is anyone using the bales adapter??
      '83 xj550 maxim
      '84 xvz1200

Comment

Don't use that, but have gotten 100k+ miles using wix 51359 filters. Got the bike with ~6.5k miles, now has ~115k. I've only ever used the wix one. You can generally find them for ~$7-8 online.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I use High Flow filters. have 84K on mt 98 750. HF138
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Any particular reason you don't use the OEM filter? That's what I use and it seems to be a good filter.

On the metal screen filters, it depends... Just recently switched my rally car from paper to metal screen filter on the advice of my engine builder. The filter claims better filtration and his experience over the last couple of years backs it up (people that come in with blown engines that have the newer metal filter he's been able to salvage all the heads and turbos whereas people with paper filters usually can't). Old style metal screens in aviation use though require oil changes twice as often as if you use paper filters...

Comment

with the bales adapter you can use the puralator L14610 which is about 30% longer than the WIX 51359.. should clean better. also, the wix 51359 is about $10 while the L14610 or equivalent is $3-4 and also I could use the Pure One 14610 which is I think the best filter you can buy and only about $5. I would think some kat Riders would have installed the bales adapter and if so I was hoping to here the installation is a no risk affair./

wow, I had a puralator L14610 and wondered why I bought it without the bales adapter so I googled and just realized this is a filter I bought for my Nissan frontier!
              Last edited by GaryS-NJ; 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              '83 xj550 maxim
              '84 xvz1200

Comment

I'm gunna be that guy. Here I go. If it's a readily available oil filter, it will do its just fine. It's not like you're doing top end runs for extended periods of time, or riding wheelies down the road. Any oil filter you put in that thing will do everything it needs to. You're over thinking it.
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

yes, but

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                  I'm gunna be that guy. Here I go. If it's a readily available oil filter, it will do its just fine. It's not like you're doing top end runs for extended periods of time, or riding wheelies down the road. Any oil filter you put in that thing will do everything it needs to. You're over thinking it.

I avoid my Stealer and the chain automotive stores don't carry our filter which leaves me with on-line (stupid due to shipping cost and lag time) or my regular auto parts guy and he needs to get the wix from the warehouse (for $10, and for sure this is not a better filter than the less expensive and readily available Pure One filter.).

My father wasn't a mechanic but was religious with oil changes and I believe it is the single most important thing to overall engine life.. I used to ride a Harley and tried several oils and could see how fast the Harley beat up most of the oils.. for those bikes, I settled in on penzoil aircraft straight 60W (but now all my bikes get Rotella multi weight diesel oil).

I'll start a thread on the bales adapter to see if anyone has installed it..

thanks all!
                  '83 xj550 maxim
                  '84 xvz1200

Comment

Working...
                  X