X

Won't Start After Clutch Adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't Start After Clutch Adjustment

Just want to state that I am very new to the motorcycle world so I will try and explain this the best that I can.

I attempted to do a clutch adjustment because when I bought the bike from my father-in-law he said that is what it needed. I found the How-To one on the site and followed that to the letter. The bike before doing this started and shifted just had a hard time going into neutral. Now it won't start, the lights dim down to nothing and it doesn't want to shift out of neutral. I know that I didn't do the adjustment correctly and just want to get the bike to run.

Well that's my issue in a nut shell any insight would be wonderful....

-Crow

If the lights are super dim sounds like the battery is dead.
    Did you adjust the clutch at the handle bar or at the engine?
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

i followed the tut on here so i pushed the on at the handle bar all the way in and the one the engine all the way in. then started to remove the slack.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

This is the How-To that i used if it helps any.

Comment

That tutorial is great. I'm guessing you got part of it incorrect - 3rd step maybe? When tightening the nut around the screw, it's easy for the screw to turn. Anyways, I'd recommend taking a deep breath and just doing it over. You've done it once, so should be much easier. There's likely one small thing that wasn't done correctly and in doing it over you'll nail it.

(The lights being dim is a power issue and not related. Still thinking that's just the battery being low. )
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

ok one more question then because step 3 did confuse me a bit. when he says high resistance does that mean torqued all the way down or to where you start to feel a difference when turning the screw driver?

Comment

so quick update i charged the battery and can say that shouldn't be the issue. the lights come on bright but when i turn the kill switch on, kick stand up or down, and hit the ignition switch the lights still dim but there is no noise of the starter engaging or that click of a dead battery.

Comment

Originally posted by wolvencrow View Post
              ok one more question then because step 3 did confuse me a bit. when he says high resistance does that mean torqued all the way down or to where you start to feel a difference when turning the screw driver?
              Where you start to feel a difference.

Originally posted by wolvencrow View Post
              so quick update i charged the battery and can say that shouldn't be the issue. the lights come on bright but when i turn the kill switch on, kick stand up or down, and hit the ignition switch the lights still dim but there is no noise of the starter engaging or that click of a dead battery.
              When you were adjusting the clutch did you accidently disconnect the clutch switch? Bike wont start if that happened. Sidestand switch would also cause the same thing, but you weren't messing with anything there so shouldn't be that
              Last edited by shpielers; 11-28-2016, 03:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

So after careful deliberation with my dad and your awesome help the starting issue was the clutch switch. Got that solved and now she starts still having issues with the adjustment but I have a buddy coming over to show me how to do it.

Thank you shpielers! Just right now with never having doing it before I would rather get it done this way in fear I might mess something up on the inside lol.

Comment

Working...
                X