X

Woe Is ME!!! Carb issues....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woe Is ME!!! Carb issues....

The rundown: 92 kat 600, 24k on bike, four on the motor. I was having the leak by problem of gas in the oil, so I figured I'd replace the carbs since obviously the needle valves were bad in my experience with car carbs. didnt' think about the gravity forcing it around them since my petcock was actually bad. so I replaced the carbs with some that have never been tinkered with. Runs like shiate now. Ran much better with my old carbs that I've had apart ten times and are rigged (nut on linkage where spring should be.) Supposedly these carbs ran great on the last bike they were on.
    Now my problems are:
    1. Idle is all over the place. Sometimes at 3k sometimes at 1k some at 5
    2. Very very slow to return to idle after a rev-up. wasn't as bad when I was on the road for a mile today, but terrible wehn idling in neutral.
    3. Won't start soemtimes. have to put it on choke, it's seventy-five degrees here, I shouldn't need choke.
    4. Died on me twice when I pulled in the clutch, second time couldn't get it restarted. pushing in a leather jacket=the suckage
    Anyone at all have any idea whatsoever???
    All help is greatly appreciated...
    Kael
    (sorry for the length)

(A) If the old carbs are known good except for the floats & the rigged nut, swap the floats & replacement parts from the new set into the older carbs and bolt them back on. This should be the simplest possible solution.

(B) It sounds like the new carbs desperately need to be sync'd -- even if you go back to your old carbs after swapping parts, you'll almost assuredly need to sync them.

(C) It also sounds like you have your throttle cable set a bit too tight or it's sticking (the most likely reason when you release the throttle, it drops most of the way, then take a while to get back to the proper idle).

Just because the newer carbs ran well on the bike he had, it doesn't tell you how long they sat on the bike before he parted it, possibly with fuel in them. My guess is that they are coated with dried fuel residues (which explains both the choke and warm-weather start problems).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Cyber for the fast reply. I wouldn't think they'd need to be synced would they, they're exactly as they came from the factory. Mine haven't been synched and I've had 3 of them apart at least 5 times. Still doesn't need synching fromt eh way it was running. I'm thinking it was just my petcock that was causing my gas problem. But I know he had to empty these before he sent them to me, so they were still full of liquid, even had soem leaked out when they got here. I don't think it' smy throttle cable but I'm gonna check that, if it does the stayin revved thing I untwist the throttle and it still doesn't go away. ???
      Thanks
      Kael

Comment

your pilot jets are clogged on the 'new' set. you could try running a good in tank cleaner - or pull them apart - remove the bowls & spray the hell out of every passage.

tim

Comment

Yup , clogged pilot circuits and in need of a synch .
          Well dammit , you guys beat me to it !
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X