X

No throttle response with new carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No throttle response with new carbs

First...I'd like to give a big thanks Special K (who I think we should affectionately call 'KR Godfather' because he's pretty much who we go to for anything our little Kats require ) for my pre 98 carbs.

So, I have them installed, new fuel lines and all, and the 93 Kat 600 starts starts well. I have not synced them yet...as my sync tool is still coming in the mail (dang Christmas and all its mail! ). My bike has no throttle response whatsoever....for instance, when I try to rev it, the revs either stay perfectly still or it kills the bike. Only when I hold the throttle in a open position will the rev eventually come up.

Is this a sync problem or something else?

(Hope you all had a good holiday....consider this a warm-up to your post holiday tech answering skills) 8)

If I were to take a guess , i'd say check/change your plugs , and it sounds like the mix might be kinda off . See any black smoke when you play with it ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

No...actually there's no smoke at all..and I took your advice, and the plugs are dry.

Comment

How did the plugs you took out look like? You say they are dry, are they white or black or anywhere between? The white part should be a lite brown if the bike is running right.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

It is in fact light brown...I would say they look pretty good in regards to mixture...or if anything, a little lean.

Comment

What is the rest of the setup on your bike?
            do you have aftermarket exhaust?
            If I may guess, it could be the jets, that is if everything else is clean.
            Can you smell gas, I think the main jet might be too rich in that case.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

It sounds like a vacuum leak to me, or mis-set/mis-routed throttle cables (or possibly mislaid fuel filter -- the fuel filter needs to point towards the ground, not lay on it's side). When you changed out the carbs, did you readjust the throttle cables (or replace them)? Did you make sure they move forward from the carbs under the very center of the tank (if they lay too far to either side, they can be pinched in their sleeves by the weight of the tank itself).

With the engine off, tank off (so you can get to both ends of the throttle cables), check to make sure that the first mm of throttle twist on the throttle moves the carb's throttles correctly. Twisting them open and releasing should let them slam shut (with a distinctive "click" rather than a slow return to closed). If not, the cables are questionable or not adjusted right.

Reinstall the tank, leave the air filter out, tighten down all the sleeves to the carbs, and set the petcock to prime. Retest. Is it still doing it?

Let me know, and we'll go from there.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X