bike won't go

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike won't go

hi everyone

i'm having issue's with my bike going forward , i recently build an 1992 gsx 600f as my first bike

now after i had finished the bike it ran great for about 2000 km this summer
    but on one trip home it started raining like crazy ( i drive without fenders )
    and suddenly at a red light when i want to go it stalled , first thing i did when i got it home was check the clutch , since i had not yet replaced the old one , the clutch was still good but i changed it anyway (all plates and springs).

start the bike and the same problem occurs , it moves a bit but allways stalls.
    next thing i checked the air filter and carbs (thought perhaps there were fuel problems since i did run in the rain with no fenders) opend up the carbs and cleaned them , nothing unusual to be seen . reinstall ,synchronised and same problem occurs.

after this i measured piston compression at 145 135 130 145 psi (manual says 114 psi minimum) but i don't know the max tolerated pressure difference between each cylinder . measured the coils at 16000 ohm each while the manual says 40000 ohm ':s

at this point i don't know what the problem could be
    engine starts fine , idles fine but also want's to stall when i jump on the seat (rear spring compresses) so i figured perhaps an electrical issue . but i don't know how to check the engine cdi or what its called

so if anyone could help me concerning this fault , it would be much appreciated

Originally posted by Arkangel View Post
    hi everyone

i'm having issue's with my bike going forward , i recently build an 1992 gsx 600f as my first bike

now after i had finished the bike it ran great for about 2000 km this summer
    but on one trip home it started raining like crazy ( i drive without fenders )
    and suddenly at a red light when i want to go it stalled , first thing i did when i got it home was check the clutch , since i had not yet replaced the old one , the clutch was still good but i changed it anyway (all plates and springs).

start the bike and the same problem occurs , it moves a bit but allways stalls.
    next thing i checked the air filter and carbs (thought perhaps there were fuel problems since i did run in the rain with no fenders) opend up the carbs and cleaned them , nothing unusual to be seen . reinstall ,synchronised and same problem occurs.

after this i measured piston compression at 145 135 130 145 psi (manual says 114 psi minimum) but i don't know the max tolerated pressure difference between each cylinder . measured the coils at 16000 ohm each while the manual says 40000 ohm ':s

at this point i don't know what the problem could be
    engine starts fine , idles fine but also want's to stall when i jump on the seat (rear spring compresses) so i figured perhaps an electrical issue . but i don't know how to check the engine cdi or what its called

so if anyone could help me concerning this fault , it would be much appreciated
    When you say stall... does the bike start missing and or slowly change in how it's running until it quits, or does it just stop running like you hit the kill switch?

If it just quits like a kill switch, I'd check your kickstand is not loose and causing problems with the saftey switch.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      When you say stall... does the bike start missing and or slowly change in how it's running until it quits, or does it just stop running like you hit the kill switch?

If it just quits like a kill switch, I'd check your kickstand is not loose and causing problems with the saftey switch.

Krey
      actually at first it even stalled when i put the bike in first (clutch pulled in) ,thats why i thought the clutch was gone . so the bike ;
      -stalls when put in first (not all times)
      -stalls when trying to drive forward
      -stalls when i jump on the seat
      i don't know what to make of that ,i thought it might be electrical but i don't see how the cabletree can move since they are attached to the frame although i am going to check the wires since i simplified the electrics a bit , so the kickstand switch and relay are not even on the bike but i don't see how an electrical problem could even cause this problem since there are no electrical components on the clutch system , and the neutral light goes on and off

Comment

Since you have what sounds like a fair bit of non-stock wiring going on and the problems started when riding in the rain that is where I would start. Check whatever work around is in place of the side stand switch, the clutch safety switch, and unplug and reply almost anything under the tank, after applying dielectric grease.

Comment

Problem solved , turns out the cdi was full of water there are 2 little holes next to the connectors where the water could enter , still strange it ran with that amount of water in it , anyway i replaced it and it runs great

Comment

Working...
          X