Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Using Bike Lift with Aftermarket Exhaust?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Bike Lift with Aftermarket Exhaust?

Hey folks,

So I am trying to determine the best way to lift my 93' 600 with V&H full system. The exhaust puts a pipe right down the center of the underside, interfering with where a lift would sit (sorry i dont have a better pic, away from bike. You can see where it is in relation to the oil drain bolt)

Has anyone successfully used a lift with an exhaust like this? I know lots of people use wood and shims and such but that is a lot of distance to shim; dont want to buy one and be screwed.

Alternatively, i already have a rear swingarm stand, a car jack, and jackstands. No rafters available :P i was thinking of using two scissorjacks from a recommendation by another member.

Thanks!

1/2" gas pipe and some ratcher straps.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
      1/2" gas pipe and some ratcher straps.

Fred, are you talking about suspending it from a gas pipe?

'fraid that's not an option for me...

Comment

R.I.Pieces....
        I use jack stands or an M/C jack and 4x4s. Depends on what I'm going to do.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          R.I.Pieces....
          I use jack stands or an M/C jack and 4x4s. Depends on what I'm going to do.

92 can you explain how you use the jack stands? lift it with a car jack first?

Comment

Yes, you'll need a buddy to stabilize the bike as it will be on two contact points till the stands are in place, just behind the starter and pick up covers on the frame. The M/C jack is better because it is wide and will stabilize the bike better. I have no issues doing it by myself, though I've done it a few times now.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Yes, you'll need a buddy to stabilize the bike as it will be on two contact points till the stands are in place, just behind the starter and pick up covers on the frame. The M/C jack is better because it is wide and will stabilize the bike better. I have no issues doing it by myself, though I've done it a few times now.
              That's confidence-inducing. Excellent! thank you. maybe I don't have to spend more money. I will pass on buying the lift for now.

Hopefully your method will work fine (i.e. I can find a jacking point) with my big ol' exhaust pipe running down the middle.
              Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 10-18-2016, 03:20 PM.

Comment

No I constructed the frame to lift the bike with Gas pipe from the home improvement store.
                Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                X