X

Oil Change question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change question

Its the first summer ive had the 06 Katana, right now the bike has 10w40 oil in it but ive heard mixed reviews on a new Castrol r4 oil that is only 5w40...should I stick with the 10w40 or has anyone had any experience with the Castrol oil? Thanks
    Batman
    1985 Suzuki GSX750S Katana
    2006 Suzuki GSX750F Katana

Stick with what the bike manufacturer requires.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I've run 5w-40 Rotella t6 rear round for 3 years now, and done somewhere around 70k miles in that time. Granted, that's in CA...only ridden below freezing a handful of times becuase it just doesnt get that cold. Been out in 105Ž°F and bike seemed ok. Didnt love the heat, but don't think the oil viscosity had anything to do with that. (Bike was running lean at the time)

If it's full synthetic, it should be fine for high temps, not sure about really cold ones though.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Low viscosity is good for lower temps, higher viscosity for higher temp. I bump mine up for the summer, it can get to 130* here in the summer.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

I also use the Rotella T6 year round.
          Last edited by ZukiFred; 10-18-2016, 12:15 PM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

if I stick to the same numbers in my manual, does it matter if I get oil that can be used in a car or does it have to be specifically for motorcycles, just find the price is so much more
            Batman

Comment

DO NOT USE CAR OIL!!! If you do, your clutch won't be happy.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

ya I just read up on it, found that car oil doesn't have an additive that makes motorcycle oil good for motorcycles
                Batman

Comment

Energy conserving car oil is a no no. Car oil that isn't energy conserving isn't the best, but won't make your clutch slip.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                  X