X

2000 katana 600 dies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 katana 600 dies

pretty new to the site and the Kat life but I have a 2000 Kat 600 has maybe 19000 miles on it. I've had it for maybe 2 months now a few problems here and there but this new 1 is killing me. 2 days ago it started to bog or die when the clutch is released and given gas in 1st. only way i get it moving is give it a whole lot of throttle maybe 5000 rpm while releasing the clutch. the kickstand switch was bypassed when i bought it idk if it needs a carb clean or new spark plugs or what any advice what be appreciated.

Welcome!

Does it bog when you're in neutral and hit the throttle, or only when you're in gear?
    Also, does it happen when you ease on the throttle, when you pin the throttle wide open, or for all conditions?
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Tune up and a carb clean wouldn't hurt...fact is a full maintenance should of been done before you rode it. Does your oil smell like fuel?
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Shpielers It bogs out in neutral only when i move the bike forward with with forward motion from my legs i only can get it going if i put it in 1st full choke it give it a lotta gas and as i pick up speed lotta backfire then its good till i cut if off for a while then i have to do it again
        92xjunker i dont think it smells like oil

Comment

Sounds like a very lean running engine. Time for a carb service.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

+1, if it can't run without choke on, pilot jets are clogged. Those are tiny internal passages inside the carb bodies. Recommended cleaning method is soaking them in Berryman's carb dip for 24 hours. (after removal ALL rubber bits). Look up carbs 102 in the wiki for a how to for carb cleaning and rebuild.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

The Gunk dip works well also....hehe, I broke the norm..
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Gunk makes one? Good to know!
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Thanks everybody i got it with my mechanic today we'll figure it out maybe monday.he told me the carbs were clean b4 i bout it from him and the spark plugs are new.he was thinking it was sumn dealing with the electronics because the previous owners did a horrible splice job all over the bike but we'll figure it out when i find out ill let u guys kno asap.

Comment

Hmmm, now we hear about the spliced wiring.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

92xjunker lol I know right ok let me fill you in we found out that the cpu was hanging out of the side of the bilke do to the previous removal of the fairings and was jumping around when i road the bike.sat the freaking cpu got caught in between the tire and died :/ we got it to the shop removed the wire harness from an 04 katana and put it on mines which is a 2000 idk if that would be a problem but he's the mechanic so Monday i went to work on it with him but he was out sick :/ so i started to troubleshooted it myself the bike starts up but i think the wires may be crossed up do to the fact the headlight doesn't come on instead the right blinker light illuminates when the key is into the on position smh so i unhooked 1 of the connectors now the blinkers work fine but no head lights.i gave up because the shop was closing soon so hopefully he's there today working on it and he figures out whats the deal

I was told the the cards were cleaned synced and i had new spark plugs so that wasn't an issue.but i may need an oil change so when i get off today im heading straight over there so i will keep you guys informed about what we find. also the guy gave me not new but sturdier fairings so i'm pretty grateful for that.
                      Last edited by Daforevaknight; 10-11-2016, 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Long story short. We fixed it the dying of the Kat was due to the cpu falling out of the side of the bracket lol we took an Harness and Cpu from in 04 Kat. the bike runs a whole lot better smh got some new fairings out of it also well used. the next endeavor will be winyle wrapping and oil change Thanks everybody.

Comment

Working...
                        X