X

100 hp pre 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 hp pre 600

Just wondering how many dunno goers are out there and what they've managed to squeeze out of their Kat. The mods list for by pig are, gsxr 750 cams, jet kit, pods (I know can't make em run....blah blah blah) straight pipes and ignition advancer +5.... Just curious what an estimated hp gain might be....then again I still have to compression test and see how tired the motor is with 30k on her

1hp maybe. Straight pipes and pod will kill any gains. Which isn't much to begin with. Want hp, buy a bigger motor and carbs.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-03-2016, 07:24 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

How exactly does straight pipes kill gains? I'd like to know your basis for which more restriction= more hp

Comment

Bike will be too lean I'm guessing.

I'm pretty sure straight pipes also negatively affect low end torque, so while you might gain some top end, good luck taking off from a stop light
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Less restriction builds HP, kills torque, torque is what gets you going. HP doesn't mean shit, build torque and you'll be much happier.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Hence the jet kit to prevent a lean condition. Straight pipes only negatively effect low end torque if they throw engine pulses into an unsatisfactory velocity. Regardless who launches hard on a sporty bike at low rev?

Comment

What ever.. I build torque, you can build what ever you want.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-04-2016, 07:23 PM.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Well, man a 600 (599)cc engine will NEVER make 100 HP. It's not possible. Telling you it's impossible probably sounds like I'm a dick. I'm a dick, good luck with that.

Comment

I'm guessing you mean this particular engine? Because anything 599 now days easily surpasses this Mark..... I'm a dreamer I dream big and usually spend more than it's worth in the end. But it's all fun and experience.

Comment

I mean oil cooled, carburetorated engines. Feel free to give it a try though. I was going to make a GSXF 600 100 HP. That was my goal. Than I crunched some numbers and realized it wasn't possible. I know for a fact that a Katana 600 won't make 100 HP. You're right though, lumping all 600cc engines together isn't the right thing to say. I generally mean anything that was designed before 1990. Both the 600 and 750 GSXF engines are built around the 1985 GSXR 750 platform. That engine had a very long and successful run. A GSXF 600 engine will never make 100 HP. I be more than happy to change my opinion if you do it though.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 10-03-2016, 10:05 PM.

Comment

A 30+ year old engine design, built to be an inexpensive, low stress engine and dropped in to a relaxed, relatively heavy, cheap bike with somewhat sporty looks. Seems like it might not be the best base to try and build on, at least as compared with many other choices.

The only way I see you pulling it off would to be by going the turbo route. Even if you got it to hit your magic number (100 HP), how long would it last?

Comment

If he balances and polishes the crank, throws in some matched Carrillo rods, undercuts the tranny, port the head, super aggressive cams, high compression pistons, jet kit, and turbos it...a week? Unless you're used to riding with that much power. Then maybe it might last a bit, but yeah, rest of the motor wasn't made with that type of stress in mind. I have no proof, but can't imagine it would hold up very well to that much extra stress. If you want to build a screamer, I suggest starting with something already strong and made for torque. B12 comes to mind, as do old GS1100s.
                        Either way, whatever you end up doing, pics please, especially if you do engine work.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I probably won't. While I believe it's possible, but the cost would be much more than I'm willing to fork over

Comment

Working...
                          X