X

Another 1999 Katana 600 Won't Start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 1999 Katana 600 Won't Start

Hey guys, my friend just bought a '99 Kat 600 and I'm going through the bike for him.

Didn't start when he bought it; first thing I did was pull the carbs.
    Cleaned them thoroughly, as well as the petcock.
    New spark plugs, and I'm getting good blue spark.

One thing I'm NOT certain about is the ignition coil order, I've downloaded a PDF and read online but it doesn't seem to add up.
    Left coil leads spark at the same time, and the right does the same. Wasted spark.

I'm reading the firing order is 1/2/4/3 and I know the order of cylinders is 1/2/3/4 as if you're sitting on the bike.

I placed the left coil leads to cylinders 1/4 and right coil leads to 2/3.

Bike turns over, I smell gas out of the exhaust, I'm getting spark, and the float bowls have fuel. The bike has 34k miles.

I'm curious if it's a hydrolock issue, as the starter solenoid clicks sometimes, but doesn't turn over. I've had hydrolock issues in the past, but when it happens, I pull the plugs and it turns over but no gas.

This leads me to suspect the firing order, any suggestions?

Coil lead install is correct. What do the plugs look like, wet or dry?
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Coil lead install is correct. What do the plugs look like, wet or dry?
      I pulled them, they were brand new, and 100% clean! Didn't even smell of gas.
      I also found an electrical issue, to the wires to the starter solenoid; this rules out hydrolocking.

I tried starter fluid, the bike will turn over but still won't start... any other suggestions?
      Last edited by Vykn; 09-24-2016, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Coil 12v on the correct coil.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Coil 12v on the correct coil.
          I'll dig the ol' multimeter out of the toolbox in the morning and verify!

Are you suggesting the spark might not be strong enough inside the cylinder, but enough to be visible outside?

Comment

No the coils are triggered by the pickup separately, interchanging the 12v supply wires causes them to trigger at the wrong time. Like during the exhaust stroke.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Ah! I'll check.

Well the ignition coils supplies are correct, O/W to the left and O/B.

Last edited by Vykn; 09-25-2016, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vykn View Post

Are you suggesting the spark might not be strong enough inside the cylinder, but enough to be visible outside?
                That's possible, need 11V at the coils when the starter is engaged.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                  That's possible, need 11V at the coils when the starter is engaged.
                  On the right side leads, I'm getting 10.5v key on, without hitting the starter. While hitting the starter, it drops to a constant 8v.
                  On the left side leads, I'm getting only residual voltage; 0.2-0.4v.

This is while the battery sits at 12.5v at the time of testing, I'll charge it more and test again.

Left side leads have some fraying in the wire, I'll re-splice and check.
                  Battery is from May '16, I'll check voltage on that as well, had it on battery tender overnight.
                  Last edited by Vykn; 09-25-2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

There is the problem.....clean ALL of your plug connections and seal with dielectric grease.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

There is the problem.....clean ALL of your plug connections and seal with dielectric grease.
                      I put new connectors on the left ignition coil leads, only getting 4/5v while the starter is engaged, and 0.2/0.4v key on.

I'll take the loom apart and find the bad connection a bit later today.

Comment

Good luck, that can be a pain.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

+1, almost worth getting a new loom...almost.

Originally posted by Vykn View Post
                          I put new connectors on the left ignition coil leads, only getting 4/5v while the starter is engaged, and 0.2/0.4v key on.

I'll take the loom apart and find the bad connection a bit later today.
                          You misunderstood, anywhere a plug connects clean the plugs. No need to undo the loom, yet.
                          Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-25-2016, 03:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

+1, almost worth getting a new loom...almost.

You misunderstood, anywhere a plug connects clean the plugs. No need to undo the loom, yet.
                            I'm testing the voltage before they get to the ignition coils themselves, eliminating the ignition coil as a fault as of now.

Comment

I've got the bike running, but it idles at 5k.

I cleaned the carbs again, measured the float height, all jets, emulsion tubes, choke, etc.

Vacuum leak or?

I did mess with the air pilot jets, set them to 2 & 1/4 as per the manual. Although it seemed to leave out my specs for the 600 and I went with the 750's.

Also, this bike has a TPS, any way to test?
                              Last edited by Vykn; 09-30-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X