X

Crank, No Start Condition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank, No Start Condition

Hi everyone, so I just purchased a 99 GSX750F and it has a crank, no start condition. I have not really begun to start the diagnosis however, are there any standard issues these bikes typically have that I should be on the look out for? What cold compression figures do these engines have when healthy?

Dude, just clean the carbs. No major issue specifically. Download the manual and follow the maintenance schedule. Download the carbs 102 manual and follow it to a T, then do it again. Once that's done, then if it doesn't start hit us up.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-21-2016, 10:57 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome aboard.

What ^ said, it's likely your carbs need cleaning.

Something else you can check is the voltage at the coils while the starter is turning over (extra set of hands makes that much easier) needs to be over 11V to really work. Teeny bit below and it might crank but not have a strong enough spark to catch.

It's also possible the carbs are empty - pulling enough vacuum with just the starter turning the engine over to suck enough fuel to fully fill them and make it to the engine is hard. Try turning the petcock to prime for ~30seconds to fill them with fuel first. Then try starting again. Still might take a bit to suck fuel through all the jets/etc, but much easier than filling the carbs first. If you try using starter fluid, don't use a lot. Like seriously, just a teeny bit.

There's a manual available for download on here, it'll have the compression numbers in it.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks guys for the info, that is really helpful.

Regarding the fuel petcock, what direction is prime vs on vs off?

Comment

Should be labled.

On is straight down, prime is towards the back of the bike, reserve is forward. No off.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Since we are talking about it, there is no off because the peacock is vacuum actuated. There should be a vacuum hose from number 4 carb (throttle side) that connects to the petcock. As the motor turns it generate vacuum and opens the diaphragm allowing fuel to flow. Better make sure it's there or u won't ever get gas to the carbs.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Thanks guys. I will take a look at this in the morning. Appreciate the help.

Comment

I was in the process of cleaning the carbs. Pretty easy so far btw, almost the same as all single carbs i have done. I flipped the carbs over and noticed thi washer and an oring the same size on my workbench. Any idea where these came from? I checked everywhere and I am thinking it may be at the seat of the main jet?

Comment

Try this http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...7769#sch257655
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

It was number 26 from the diagram. Thanks.

Comment

After cleaning the carbs and changing the plugs I went to start it up tonight and still nothing. The battery seemed weak and tested at 10.xx static voltage. I will charge the battery and let to know my results.

If it is not simply an undercharged battery now, are ignition coils the next thing to check?

Comment

Voltage at the coils while the starter is turning over.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Needs to be 11v
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Battery static voltage: 12.63
                            Key on Engine Off Voltage @ coil: 11.10
                            Cranking Voltage @ Coil: 9ish (jumps around)

Battery is from previous owner but looks to be dated from this spring.
                            Last edited by sr73087; 10-02-2016, 03:27 PM.

Comment

9ish is going to be an issue. Try cleaning all of the plug connections to bring that up. Try jumping off a not running car.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X