No announcement yet.
X

Crank, No Start Condition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So battery static voltage was 12.5, key on engine off dropped to 12.0. The battery drops to just under 11v while cranking. I even spayed some carb cleaner in the carbs just to make sure its definitely not a fuel issue somehow and nothing.

Tested valve cover to ground and .2 ohms. So the path to ground should be ok. Anyone have any ideas what is next?

Comment

Try to start it normally, with the choke on. Then pull the plugs and see what they look like. Wet or dry, smell like fuel, warm or cold? Check spark on all of the plugs? Wires in the correct place, 12v and the plug wires. Might be the pulse generator.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Why dont you hook up a car battery to it with cables and car engine off. Its not the car battery itself that is the problem, its the charging system in the car/truck. If you get good spark/ or it starts then you know for sure the bike battery is toast.
        1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
        V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
        Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Try to start it normally, with the choke on. Then pull the plugs and see what they look like. Wet or dry, smell like fuel, warm or cold? Check spark on all of the plugs? Wires in the correct place, 12v and the plug wires. Might be the pulse generator.
          Plugs are wet,cold and smell like fuel. All plugs have spark.

Checked the pulse generator and it ohmed out just fine at 169 ohms, however the min peak voltage was well under 1v. Not sure if I am definitely checking this right.

Have not checked the secondary ignition circuit or if the wires are installed in the proper sequence. I know the firing order is 1-2-4-3, but not sure how to determine if the wires are going to the correct coil.

Comment

Originally posted by sr73087 View Post
            Plugs are wet,cold and smell like fuel. All plugs have spark.

Checked the pulse generator and it ohmed out just fine at 169 ohms, however the min peak voltage was well under 1v. Not sure if I am definitely checking this right.

Have not checked the secondary ignition circuit or if the wires are installed in the proper sequence. I know the firing order is 1-2-4-3, but not sure how to determine if the wires are going to the correct coil.
            Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
            From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
            this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Found part of the answer to the firing order but not sure which is which.

Comment

1 and 4 hooked up to left coil, 2 and 3 hooked up to right coil. As you're sitting on the bike, 1 is on the clutch side, 4 is on the brake side.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Left coil 1&4. Right coil 2&3
                Left coil 12v org/white and black, Right coil 12v org/white and black/white.
                Unless you have a peak voltage adapter, you'll never see the proper peak voltage generated by the pulse generator. P/N 09900-25008 which is $800.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-19-2016, 01:36 AM.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Left coil 1&4. Right coil 2&3
                  Left coil 12v org/white and black, Right coil 12v org/white and black/white.
                  Unless you have a peak voltage adapter, you'll never see the proper peak voltage generated by the pulse generator. P/N 09900-25008 which is $800.
                  Yea I just tried to probe the pin with t-pins and alligator clips. So you would so its likely that its probably fine?

The only other issue that sticks out to me is that the smaller clip on the icm is not clipped in well. The lock that would hold it in tight is broken but the connector is still pushed in, if this was an issue I would think it would be something caused by hitting a big bump or something. Most of the wiring that I tested to the icm was good.

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                  1 and 4 hooked up to left coil, 2 and 3 hooked up to right coil. As you're sitting on the bike, 1 is on the clutch side, 4 is on the brake side.
                  Thanks, I check this out as well as ohm out the secondary circuit. Plugs were changed when I first purchased the bike.
                  Last edited by sr73087; 10-19-2016, 09:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I have seen pulse generators test fine but, were faulty...so it's a crap shoot.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Is this a part that fails often?

Is this isn't it and I check the secondary ignition circuit and firing order, what would be your next guess?

Comment

No, not that often. If your charging system went south it usually frys things, that would be one of those things. You've exhausted nearly every venture. I'd get one off EBay and swap it out. Pretty cheap and alway good to have parts in storage.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Ordered it but if it's bad would I still have spark? I guess it's possible since the testing process doesn't mention spark. Have you seen the icm ever go?

Comment

If your getting spark, the ICU is working, that is what triggers the coils. And yes, we had spark too, the symptoms just pointed to the pickup, I took one off a project and installed it for peace of mind and it started.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Do you know what your friend's symptoms were prior to replacing the pulse generator?
                              Last edited by sr73087; 10-21-2016, 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Wouldn't start but, everything checked ok, getting fuel just not starting.
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X