Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Carb parts question (slide specifically)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb parts question (slide specifically)

Carbs are out, "top end" disassembly is done. Notably whoever worked on it last appears to have not assembled #1 entirely correct...

The first thing I noticed was that #1 the slide moves very fast, while 2-4 have a noticeable drag to them. Then when I got the tops off I could see what was going on:

The seal/gasket/whatever you call it for the #1 slide was folded over and crimped into the top instead of being in its proper place, which lets it drop real fast, unlike 2-4 where it has a tight seal that slows the movement. I was trying to figure out how to disconnect that seal portion from the slide, but it's not obvious. Is that flexible seal something you can replace by itself, or do you just replace the entire slide assembly?

Also, the other 3 look perfectly fine, but should I replace them anyways?

On the plus side, everything else top side looks good. On the bad side, it looks like 3 out of 4 bowls were leaking as there's scorched marks on the outside around where the gasket should be (have not disassembled that far yet to confirm).

Originally posted by 1LE View Post
    Carbs are out, "top end" disassembly is done. Notably whoever worked on it last appears to have not assembled #1 entirely correct...

The first thing I noticed was that #1 the slide moves very fast, while 2-4 have a noticeable drag to them. Then when I got the tops off I could see what was going on:

The seal/gasket/whatever you call it for the #1 slide was folded over and crimped into the top instead of being in its proper place, which lets it drop real fast, unlike 2-4 where it has a tight seal that slows the movement. I was trying to figure out how to disconnect that seal portion from the slide, but it's not obvious. Is that flexible seal something you can replace by itself, or do you just replace the entire slide assembly?

Also, the other 3 look perfectly fine, but should I replace them anyways?

On the plus side, everything else top side looks good. On the bad side, it looks like 3 out of 4 bowls were leaking as there's scorched marks on the outside around where the gasket should be (have not disassembled that far yet to confirm).
    600 or 750cc? If yes, the slide diaphragms will just pull apart from the slide. There is a deep grove, and the rubber hole is smaller than the outside. Stretch them over/off the slides.

Only need to replace if there are tears or holes. Even if it's been pressed in an odd shape, you generally can save it and use it with proper care.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      600 or 750cc? If yes, the slide diaphragms will just pull apart from the slide. There is a deep grove, and the rubber hole is smaller than the outside. Stretch them over/off the slides.

Only need to replace if there are tears or holes. Even if it's been pressed in an odd shape, you generally can save it and use it with proper care.

Krey
      600 cc. I think I'll replace it out of an abundance of caution. It might still function, but a couple places around the edge did get pretty well crimped. It may not fit quite like it should!

Comment

HOT water straightens those out...
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
        X