X

Air/Fuel issue or something else?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air/Fuel issue or something else?

Hey all, long story short, I bought a 96 Katana GXS600F. As per the carb 101 and 102 turorial, I cleaned and visually sync'd the carbs after I was experiencing hesitating/popping/power issues while driving. Along with the carb cleaning, I got brand new plugs, and checked the airfilter (no name on it, so I assume it is OEM). I also replaced the throttle cable (got sent a post98, waiting on the correct one.) Nevertheless, I put it back together last night, and she sang beautifully. Lot's of power through all levels and idle was perfect.

I took it for a drive today, and at first she was running like a champ, but after about 15 minutes, I lost most low end power, it is not like the first time it happened thought. If I slam the throttle and shift like I am racing, she runs great, but in 1st, I don't feel the same pull I am used to. Second gear pulls but sort of "bounces" (small tugs of power), 3rd thru 6th (if not in full out drag mode) rev ok, but has slow accelaration.

Lastly, the bike seems to not want to keep idle after warming up. I must rev it a few times if at a red light to keep it from stalling.

So my question is does this sound like an air/fuel pilot issue (currently at 2.5 turns out) or am I not thinking of something obvious to check? Thanks for any input.

What does the tank look like? ANY CRAP IN THERE WILL SCREW A CARB CLEAN QUICKLY. What does the oil smell like. Did you set the idle speed when the engine was at proper temp?
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The Idle speed was set at temp, however it fluctuates while riding, causing me to make small adjustments, usually an increase.

the tank is a mess, not going to lie, however, while waiting for a deal on a new one, I installed a pretty effective fuel filter on the main line. Hoping to replace tank before winter.

Oil smells only of oil, and changing said oil, was on my agenda for the weekend.

Comment

Fuel filters only work for .. That long. You could just seal the tank with POR15 and call it done.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

If the tank is rusty...you're going to have to clean the carbs again...
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

And pre Kats can have issues when fuel filters are installed, due to slower carb feed.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
            X