Removing Throttle cable from Carbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Throttle cable from Carbs?

Hi folks,

Please forgive the novice question; I am quite new to motorcycle mechanics. Ive searched extensively and am not finding much.

91 Katana 600. I am trying to remove and clean the carbs for the first time. Following Carbs 101, I have gotten the idle adjustment screw and choke cable off, but cannot figure out how to get the damn throttle cable off.

I cannot get a wrench in here to turn this blasted nut between #2 and 3. Even removing the philips-head rail would not help, since there is not enough space to even turn an open-end wrench:

I have removed the small pin at the end of the cable from the metal retaining clip, but it seems like this nut has to come off before i can pull the carbs from the bike.

I am probably being daft, but I can't figure this out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 09-02-2016, 01:13 PM.

open end wrench, at a 45 degree angle. Turn to loosen, then finger turn out.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yup, doesn't take much of a turn to break it loose. It's not like you have to wrench it all the way out, just get it loose and the unscrew it by hand and it's done.

Comment

Thank you guys! I ended up disassembling the grip and taking the cable out there to get started; once the carbs were off the nut came off quickly as you said with a slight wrenching.

Comment

Working...
        X