1999 Suzuki Katana 600 Running problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Suzuki Katana 600 Running problems

Hey guys !

Recently aquired a 1999 Suzuki Katana 600 and it's my first ever bike! Loving it so far but I have some concerns over how it's been running so far. The engine is making a clanking noise while running (video) ( https://youtu.be/R5FN1ISPZqI ) and if I don't rev it a fair bit when I turn it on then it will stall on me and I have to restart it. No problems starting though, starts first time every time. Any help would be appreciated , I would rather fix it myself if I could...

Thanks

Sounds the cam chain adjuster needs attention. Are you using the choke when starting?
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I know this may sound stupid, but the choke is all the way up. It's to a point where it has a symbol like this : [x]. I'm guessing that's a symbol that indicates this is where it should be for starting it

Comment

Haha....you put it where the bike will hold steady 2500-3000 rpm, and drop it as the bike warms and the rpms climb.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

The choke has been off the whole time .. That was the running issue haha. The clinking I think is what you stated before.. Will this work? It's what I found on eBay http://m.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?isRef...ER&_mwBanner=1

Comment

It's not a good idea to replace shitty old parts with shitty old parts. All you need to do is replace the spring and gasket. You can order new OEM parts from Bike Bandit or Ron Ayers.

Comment

Yeah....I agree. With that item, get new parts. I also suspect a carb issue. Choke should be needed, unless it's real hot where you store it.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Damn, hope the carbs aren't going .. That's a good 500 on bike bandit and I'm having trouble finding the cam chain adjusters on it but I don't think they're that expensive

Comment

If you need a good carb rebuild talk to Arsenic. He's the resident carb guru

Comment

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...7788#sch930382 Part #7 $86.46. Or parts #9 and 10. Gasket and spring. $5.12 and $4.34.

Carbs may be set rich. Don't sweat it for now...
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-14-2016, 06:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Think I should go for the spring and gasket or be safe and get the whole assembly?

Comment

Spring and gasket should be all you need.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          Spring and gasket should be all you need.
                          There is no "should" here. It IS all you need. I'm not saying it'll stop the sound, I'm saying it'll fix the cam chain tensioner.

Comment

Think it sounds like a carb problem arsenic ?

Comment

Not really

Originally posted by Jonnyvdubs View Post
                              Damn, hope the carbs aren't going .. That's a good 500 on bike bandit and I'm having trouble finding the cam chain adjusters on it but I don't think they're that expensive
                              You can't buy new carbs man. I don't know what you think you saw on BB, but it wasn't that.
                              Last edited by arsenic; 08-14-2016, 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X