1994 Katana new to me.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Katana new to me.....

I'm the new owner of a 600 katana 94'.

After tearing the bike down, and seeing the wiring..it's not in the greatest of shape. It's evident that things have shorted in certain places at some point or another, and been repaired by someone lacking any know-how.

I've found some harnesses online for about 50$. I'm debating buying the harness, and completely replacing the existing one.

As the bike sits now, the lights come on, and I have a working gauge cluster, she just won't crank over at all. Albeit I do have the carbs off the bike.

I see on the negative cable, a white colored quick connector that has nothing plugged into it. I'm going to have to assume that that connecter would plug into the harness, and would be the ground for everything else. Right? Well, I can't find the other end of that plug anywhere. I'm also assuming this is why the bike won't crank.

As I said earlier, I do have the carbs off the bike and a rebuild kit on the way. This will be my first carb rebuild. I can tell already that they are out of sync, the butterflies are all out of whack when I hold the butterflies wide open. Will the bike crank at all without the carbs on?

The bike also needs a gas tank. The tank on it has Jb weld on the bottom of it. A lot of it.

Anything you all can add would be greatly appreciated. This is my first Kat, and first post.

Overall, the bike is a huge disaster right now, but the price was right and a lot of the problems were not visible when I bought it.

Thanks!
    1994 katana gsx600f - Frankenstein build.

"It always seems impossible until it's done" - Nelson Mandela
    "If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you"

Welcome to Katriders
    A very neglected 22 year old obsolete bike wouldn't be my first choice for my first bike but, it happens quite often here. 1) get a manual, one is available here. 2) make a plan to fix the bike, jumping all over makes the job go much longer and cost much more. 2) ask questions before buying parts, you may not need them or there maybe another route to go. 3) no K&N air filters are to be used, no fuel filters either. Good luck
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Welcome to Katriders
      A very neglected 22 year old obsolete bike wouldn't be my first choice for my first bike but, it happens quite often here. 1) get a manual, one is available here. 2) make a plan to fix the bike, jumping all over makes the job go much longer and cost much more. 2) ask questions before buying parts, you may not need them or there maybe another route to go. 3) no K&N air filters are to be used, no fuel filters either. Good luck
      This is my second bike, my first was a dualsport. I'll have to buy the manual. I'm assuming it's a PDF .. yes?

So far, my plan is as follows....I have ordered a new harness and tank, and pulled the carbs off. I'm going to swap harnesses, and the bike should then crank. If she doesn't, i'll continue troubleshooting. Once I can get the bike to crank over, i'll likely rebuild the carbs and attempt to sync them myself. After the bike is running, the bike will eventually get a proper street fighter rework, and drag pipes. Homebuilt cage, and scrape bar in the back. That's a long ways off however. Honestly, my reasoning for buying this bike was simply because the price was right, and I want a devoted stunt toy. My dualsport was great, but it simply couldn't do certain things due to a lack of power.

As she sits now, she is pretty stripped down. Carbs are off, tail is apart etc.

Also, I have this button right where my gas gauge is that's not hooked up to anything. What is it?

1. replace harness and troubleshoot
      2. deal w/ carb issues
      3. get bike put back together and work out the rest of the little bugs
      4. move on to cosmetics

Edit: will a 750 harness be interchangeable? What years would work for me?
      Last edited by Covelli33; 08-07-2016, 11:19 PM.

Comment

If you plan on stunting, wheelies or off roading you totally picked the wrong bike. It's low powered and 500lbs. Oh, and the fork seals are weak and the oil pump is in the front of the motor so, oil starvation while doing wheelies, will eventually kill the motor. Good luck with the project.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-08-2016, 12:33 AM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

If you plan on stunting, wheelies or off roading you totally picked the wrong bike. It's low powered and 500lbs. Oh, and the fork seals are weak and the oil pump is in the front of the motor so, oil starvation, while doing wheelies, will eventually kill the motor. Good luck with the project.

Well, I may just unload this one and have to find an srad.. I'll have to sleep on it I guess.

Comment

Don't expect to turn n burn it for profit unless you got it for next to nothing. Sounds like it needs some love and alot of work. I'd do some serious debating whether or no you want to stick with it before you invest too much into it. Keep. In mind Katanas aren't great for stunting. Drop a bandit 1200 motor in it and a usd fork front end conversion off a gsxr, or maybe busa on it and you would be better off. That's gunna take $$$ tho and at the end of the day it's still gunna be a steel framed heavy pig.

Have you ever sat on an srad ? Fuckers are pretty big too but they are lighter than a kat I think.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
              Don't expect to turn n burn it for profit unless you got it for next to nothing. Sounds like it needs some love and alot of work. I'd do some serious debating whether or no you want to stick with it before you invest too much into it. Keep. In mind Katanas aren't great for stunting. Drop a bandit 1200 motor in it and a usd fork front end conversion off a gsxr, or maybe busa on it and you would be better off. That's gunna take $$$ tho and at the end of the day it's still gunna be a steel framed heavy pig.

Have you ever sat on an srad ? Fuckers are pretty big too but they are lighter than a kat I think.
              I'm still going back and forth on it. The size of the katana really is something I love. I'm just trying weight whether or not I want to invest in a harness, tank, and carb rebuild (have the build kit on the way) or if I just need to cut my losses.

I've always wanted a katana though. Just not THIS katana

Comment

They are a petty damn good bikes for what it is, a sport oriented Turing bike. With some $ invested it becomes a much better bike, just not an SS bike. It is an old school oil/air cooled bike after all.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

They are a petty damn good bikes for what it is, a sport oriented Turing bike. With some $ invested it becomes a much better bike, just not an SS bike. It is an old school oil/air cooled bike after all.
                  What else should I be looking into updating/replacing while I have the bike apart? I'll be ordering the new harness and gas tank tonight when I get home.

Comment

The best bang for the $ is a suspension upgrade. Rebuilt for your weight 750 Kat shock and Race tech front springs with emulators, Night and day difference. Jet kit and timing advancer with a full exhaust. The rest is candy on the cake.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Might as well order float bowl gaskets, also check the date codes on the tires. They may be outside of their shelf life. Check the chain and sprockets, brakes, brake fluid flush probably wouldnt hurt. anticipate oil change and spark plugs. new air filter. get EMGO paper filter not K&N shit.
                      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

The best bang for the $ is a suspension upgrade. Rebuilt for your weight 750 Kat shock and Race tech front springs with emulators, Night and day difference. Jet kit and timing advancer with a full exhaust. The rest is candy on the cake.
                        I'll have to look into that. First things first, I absolutely need to get her running. I currently have a no crank problem due to the ground feed connector being busted. So first order of business is either swapping or repairing the loom. I'm on the fence about which route to go.

Anybody got a color code scheme/diagram?

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                        Might as well order float bowl gaskets, also check the date codes on the tires. They may be outside of their shelf life. Check the chain and sprockets, brakes, brake fluid flush probably wouldnt hurt. anticipate oil change and spark plugs. new air filter. get EMGO paper filter not K&N shit.
                        I have a second set of tires I bought off my roommate. I believe my carb rebuild kit came with needles, O rings, and the bowl gaskets. I'll probably go ahead and replace the chain and sprockets regardless, just to be preventative and keep things fresh. No sense in getting her moving and snapping a chain in the middle of Phoenix. It's too hot for that. As for the paper filters, that was what I was thinking. Back in my off-road days, KN filters gave most of us huge problems due to the excessive debris making it into the motor.

The bike is rough, but the frame has no cracks. Apparently my front suspension has clicker adjustment too. Pretty cool lmao!

Also, I have this weird black button next to my gas gauge that's not hooked up to anything. What is it, or is it something aftermarket?

Thanks
                        Last edited by Covelli33; 08-08-2016, 09:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Pick one .... I'm a fan of black and red
                          It was green and a gold I created....too greenbay.
                          Carb rebuild kits do not include needles.
                          Button is ???? What ever the OP put on it.
                          I think you'll admire the Kat for what it is...a great all around bike. Search the forum for good mods to do. Going overboard isn't uncommon
                          Those fork adjustment don't do much at all, it will go if the emulators are installed. The manual is available here. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138096&page=2
                          Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-08-2016, 10:28 PM.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Pick one .... I'm a fan of black and red
                            It was green and a gold I created....too greenbay.
                            Carb rebuild kits do not include needles.
                            Button is ???? What ever the OP put on it.
                            I think you'll admire the Kat for what it is...a great all around bike. Search the forum for good mods to do. Going overboard isn't uncommon
                            Those fork adjustment don't do much at all, it will go if the emulators are installed. The manual is available here. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138096&page=2
                            Great, that button is getting chucked then. Well, it's sold as a "carb repair kit". K/L PN #18-5061. I'll be doing a lot of reading tonight. I'm really thinking of going with a black and gold color scheme. Always loved that look.

Comment

Black without a whole lot of gold would be cool.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X