X

1994 Katana new to me.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
    Whats the inside of the new tank look like? Might save yourself a headahce later and precious riding hours if you just POR15 the new one while you cant ride anyway and then you will never have to worry about sediment in the carbs...

The inside is nearly perfect. I was told muriatic acid is a great way to clean the tank out. I'll take your word for POR 15. I'll order some. Just waiting for parts now. Can I get POR 15 locally?

Those guys on gixxer better get ready to see this kat running
    1994 katana gsx600f - Frankenstein build.

"It always seems impossible until it's done" - Nelson Mandela
    "If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you"

Comment

I've never seen it locally.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I dont know if you can get it locally or not. If your tank is better than pretty good and you take care not to let it rust, you should be fine. Muratic acid might eat away the lining and make it more likely to rust. When it rusts inside, the rust pieces break off, and sometimes make it to the carbs. If theres minimal rust, a less abrasive way to pull it out may be electrolysis. I've used that technique a few times with pretty decent luck. Once its completely rust free, just dont let it sit empty for long periods of time and you should be good.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Ordering POR 15 Today. Though the tank is in great shape, it would definitely be in my best interest to make sure I do everything I can to prevent any other issues from arising.

Currently, until my parts arrive, I'm researching fitting a wider rim on the back of the bike. I can't stand looking at the skinny doughnut currently on the bike. A properly fitted 160 .. Even 170 would be perfect. If any of you have threads you can link with information on the proper rim/axle swap, that would be awesome.

I'm also looking into options to ditch the front brick of a headlight. With the street fighter approach, it's just gotta go. Without fairings on, the headlight just looks out of place. I'm thinking and leaning strongly towards two led pods up front, or a very small properly aimed pencil beam led bar. If any of you have threads related to that, please link those as well.

Lastly, today will also be spent researching suspension and other performance upgrades. I'm looking to put drag pipes on the bike. I plan to jet the bike accordingly. Anybody have any idea what number jet to use/start with when dialing in the carbs with free flowing pipes? I was going to start about two jets up and give the bike more fuel. Figured open pipes would lean the bike out some, and I'm not interested in burning valves. As Frankenstein is now, the motor is clean, and leak free with brand new fluids. The PO seems to have started the resto there, and promptly stopped there as well.

Do y'all have any tips for installing the new harness? I have a sauntering setup, and a crimp tool.

Hope you guys were able to see the pics. If not, please let me know and I'll do my best to make them viewable.

Comment

Got her running today, made it about 20 miles then she died. Stripped her down AGAIN. Cylinder 3 is dead in the water.

Comment

A post wheel will fit right in that swing arm with minimal effort.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Looks like I'm either going to have to invest in a top end....or swap a junkyard 600/750/bandit motor in. Maybe it's a sign from the gods.

Comment

I was kidding about you needing a new cylinder #3. I didn't really mean that.

Comment

Wait.....what exactly failed? Rings are cheap, valves are cheap, springs are cheap.......
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      Wait.....what exactly failed? Rings are cheap, valves are cheap, springs are cheap.......
                      I don't know. I've never been inside an engine before. I just know that cylinder three is only showing 55psi. Worst possible situation just happened today

Comment

Broken ring, or bent valve. Honestly, how high did you rev the motor? High RPM could cause the valve to float and impact the piston. It really doesn't matter it's not that hard to fix and not too expensive.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Or a shitty compression tester from Harbor Freight. When somebody who has no idea what's inside of an engine (the OP said that himself, I'm not being dickish), I'm going with that one. Did you do a leak down test? Probably not. Do you know what a leak down test is? Google it. Guy, a piston ring job isn't that hard? Really? It could be as simple as a cylinder head gasket. Now that's easy.

Comment

ok, we covered this before..
                            If you don't know what your doing , sure it is. I don't find it hard at all, just time consuming as hell. Yes, a gasket is very easy..
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Then you can explain how to remove the engine from the frame. I'm guessing he'll give up when the realization sets in that you need to take the whole engine apart, and buy tools and stuff.

Comment

B12 swap! FTW!!
                                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                                X